Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    My mom, who became Irish about ten years ago (we were Finnish before that), rants about this often.
    Did her family have those high Finnish cheek bones?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Did her family have those high Finnish cheek bones?
    Is that even a thing? Alan, it is all made up. I have no real idea why she thought we were Finnish. I think she grew up in a neighborhood with some Fins in it.

Then out of nowhere, maybe ten years ago, she abandoned the Fin thing and decided we were Irish.

I insist that we are just regular Americans.

Is that even a thing?
    Sorry, that was an Elizabeth Warren thing, which served her well until it didn't.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Is that even a thing? Alan, it is all made up. I have no real idea why she thought we were Finnish. I think she grew up in a neighborhood with some Fins in it.

Then out of nowhere, maybe ten years ago, she abandoned the Fin thing and decided we were Irish.

I insist that we are just regular Americans.
    Did she do one of those DNA tests? I did.. and came out predictably 93% Irish, Scottish and English (heavy on the Irish--and with a touch of German thrown in). Maybe she was like one of the Ancestry.com commercials where she was craving reindeer meat all the time until she came to learn she should have been craving corned beef and Guinness.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Did she do one of those DNA tests? I did.. and came out predictably 93% Irish, Scottish and English (heavy on the Irish--and with a touch of German thrown in). Maybe she was like one of the Ancestry.com commercials where she was craving reindeer meat all the time until she came to learn she should have been craving corned beef and Guinness.
    Oh yeah, we got her the test. It was like 10%-15% (or less) of Brit, German, Irish, Scandinavian, Iberian, Jewish, etc.

Finally finished Anna Karinena...thank goodness!! LOL. Now I'm reading a little book for 10-14 yo A Ship In The Sand by Rachael Lucas - the daughter of a friend of mine! Nice story so far, but more proud of the author. I like seeing people follow their dreams.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Second Mountain by David Brooks

People, Power and Politics by Joseph Stiglitz. Nobel laureate (Economic Science) Stiglitz launches from his analysis of wealth inequality to the political status quo of President Trump's America. … which Stiglitz describes as "minority rule". He gives reasoned opinions about potential reforms that he favors (such as term limits for Supreme Court Justices) or he opposes (guaranteed annual income).

Stiglitz believes diverse movements are agitating for change. He seems optimistic that these movements could find common ground and organize for reform and majority rule.

The Way We Eat Now by Bee Wilson. Really interesting analysis of the world's changing food choices/habits over the past few decades and all of the implications.
    The Salt Path by Raynor Winn - about an older couple who lose their house and income and set out on the path to figure out how to live without a home.

Yppej
    The Last Days of Night and Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, fiction and 438 Days nonfiction

Thread Information