Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    That is great! I AM now looking cor more in this setting.

My library has the Walbert book in digital,form, so that is perfect. i just checked it out.
    Nice! Let us know what you think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I just finished a great novel called Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld. I will say that I have a fondness for fiction set in East Coast preparatory academies. But this one is really good, a literary work of fiction, not a genre piece.

I got it for $.50 at the thrift store. The cover looked familiar, but I have not read it, probably checked it out of the library and returned it unread. Interestingly enough, the author lives here in my city, and she attended University of Iowa’s Writers’s workshop in my old stomping grounds so I feel an affinity for her.

Now I am nostalgic for the three other preppy/Ivy school novels I can think of: The New Girl, the classic The Group by Mary McCarthy,and.Donna Tartt’s .the Secret History.
    I read something great by her a few years ago, so I will definitely look for this one. Thanks for the recommendation!

Into the Planet: My Life as a Cave Diver by Jill Heinerth

Interview with her from NPR's Fresh Air:
    https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-a...ate=2019-08-24

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Finished "Radical Homemaker". Nearly done with "Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society".
    I enjoyed the Guernsey literary book. It was a big seller back in its day.

Audiobook of David Sedaris, Me Talk Pretty One Day,

I do not know much about the author, but I gather he has made a career out of reading from his diaries for the BBC, etc. I enjoy his sense of humor.

Carole Deppe The Resilient Gardener.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Audiobook of David Sedaris, Me Talk Pretty One Day,

I do not know much about the author, but I gather he has made a career out of reading from his diaries for the BBC, etc. I enjoy his sense of humor.
    We have talked about David Sedaris many times on this website. I didn’t especially like me talk pretty one day but I like a lot of his works. I like his delivery so I like to listen to him on the radio. He is famous for his auto biographical story of when he was an elf at Macy’s during the Christmas season

There is a chapter where he tells of them trying to explain Easter and the resurrection in a class of non-English speakers that was dangerous for me to even think about in public because I would burst into laughter and give the impression of being mentally unbalanced. Now that is some funny stuff!
    The Santaland Diaries are hysterical.

Sourdough by Robin Sloan (who wrote Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore, which I also read. His books are engaging and light, with a backdrop of IT drudgery. Nice contrast to the depressing stuff I've been reading lately.

On my last leg home from BTV-CHI-BTV-CHI-IAH-EWR-BTV this week, I indulged in a Kindle purchase: Toward a Truly Free Market: A Distributist Perspective on the Role of Government, Taxes, Health Care, Deficits, and More

I plan on reporting back in Public Policy at a later date. Very good so far. The author is able to reduce economics to lucid concepts digestible to laymen like me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information