Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2019?

I have been listening to an audiobook of David Sedaris reading his bits on dining in restaurants in NYC, learning to speak French, etc.
    I suppose it does not qualify as "reading". But I laugh out loud!

Just started Elderhood and Born a Crime.

I'm about done with Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides. It was a best seller back when it was published about 10 years ago. It is the story of manifest destiny and the opening of the west for settlement, built around the life of Kit Carson. I've been reading it as a companion to Ken Burns old series, The West, which is on Netflix. Even without slavery, our country certainly has a very dark side of its development.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I have been listening to an audiobook of David Sedaris reading his bits on dining in restaurants in NYC, learning to speak French, etc.
    I suppose it does not qualify as "reading". But I laugh out loud!
    He definitely makes me laugh out loud!

Yppej
    This Fight Is Our Fight by Elizabeth Warren. It includes stories and statistics in a formula I found compelling when I heard her speak.

Just finished Light of the World, a James Lee Burke novel from a few years ago. He writes wonderfully literate crime fiction.

The Joy of Leaving Your Sh*t All Over the Place: The Art of Being Messy by Jennifer McCartney.
    More my speed than Marie Kondo.

Yppej
    Utopia for Realists about, among other things, UBI. It says the major challenge we face on the future is leisure. Instead of enjoying it people keep working the same amount of hours so they can consume more. I have seen this in coworkers afraid to retire because they do not know what to do with their time and have few interests or social connections outside of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Utopia for Realists about, among other things, UBI. It says the major challenge we face on the future is leisure. Instead of enjoying it people keep working the same amount of hours so they can consume more. I have seen this in coworkers afraid to retire because they do not know what to do with their time and have few interests or social connections outside of work.
    I find this fascinating and puzzling at the same time. I don't know how anyone can fail to find something to occupy their time and/or their mind in this vast, complex world. Employment was nothing but a set of shackles to me.

I suspect it's something like most people might like some structure in their lives, but it could easily be solved by a 20 or 30 hour week, 32 hour 4 day week, or whatever, and the 40+ hour week is a real slog.

But it's not like we usually have much option on how much we work and when I worked part time for awhile people would openly express envy for it, but some asked for it and were turned down and I don't think they were happy I got it either. The things I hear around the office are more "isn't this week over yet?" "thank god it's Friday" "the weekends go too fast" and sometimes someone will actually start talking about "what would it be liked if we worked less". It's idle talk of course, noone expects it to happen.

I could easily find volunteering to do rather than work and like it, problem is it doesn't pay.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information