Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Reading Nothing Undaunted by Dorothy Wickenden. True story of author's grandmother and friend (East Coast Society girls) who traveled to the wilds of Colorado to become rural school teachers. Takes place in the early 1900s.
    That sounds good! Adding it to my list---thanks, Pinkytoe
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    That sounds good! Adding it to my list---thanks, Pinkytoe
    Same here pinkytoe!

Just picked up IRAs, 401(k)s & Other Retirement Plans .. Strategies for Taking Your Money Out... by NOLO

Yppej
    AWhole New Life by Reynolds Price about his illness
    Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
    Radical Homemakers mentioned here. I may not finish this one. It's a little more polemical a tone than I care for.

I just finished Small Fry by Steve Jobs’s daughter. It was a coming of age story about a girl who just happened to have a famous, rich father. The guy didn't make her life easy. She lived with him only off and on in her teen years.

A tiny tome (actually a commencement speech) called This is Water. Definitely food for thought.

Yppej
    Shockwave: Countdown to Hiroshima

The Perfect Predator: A Scientist's Race to Save Her Husband from a Deadly Superbug: A Memoir

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    A tiny tome (actually a commencement speech) called This is Water. Definitely food for thought.
    David Foster Wallace. My son gave me that book as a gift. One of my favorites.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I don't think we have a lot of horror fans here, but I just read one of the best horror novels ever, "The Ruins" by Scott Smith. It was published in 2006 and was apparently also made into a movie; I'm not sure how I missed it. He did such a great job setting up the background to the story that I was sufficiently horrified before anything even happened. Now that's some good horror writing!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I don't think we have a lot of horror fans here, but I just read one of the best horror novels ever, "The Ruins" by Scott Smith. It was published in 2006 and was apparently also made into a movie; I'm not sure how I missed it. He did such a great job setting up the background to the story that I was sufficiently horrified before anything even happened. Now that's some good horror writing!
    I like Horror if it is well done.

I think I read a couple recommended by you, The Chalkman was one of them, another one was The Boy Who Drew Monsters.

And I hate to admit this, but I have never read a David Foster Wallace book. I can’t believe I’m saying that I aloud, it is embarrassing.

Thread Information