Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2019?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    There is a chapter where he tells of them trying to explain Easter and the resurrection in a class of non-English speakers that was dangerous for me to even think about in public because I would burst into laughter and give the impression of being mentally unbalanced. Now that is some funny stuff!
    The Santaland Diaries are hysterical.

Sourdough by Robin Sloan (who wrote Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore, which I also read. His books are engaging and light, with a backdrop of IT drudgery. Nice contrast to the depressing stuff I've been reading lately.

On my last leg home from BTV-CHI-BTV-CHI-IAH-EWR-BTV this week, I indulged in a Kindle purchase: Toward a Truly Free Market: A Distributist Perspective on the Role of Government, Taxes, Health Care, Deficits, and More

I plan on reporting back in Public Policy at a later date. Very good so far. The author is able to reduce economics to lucid concepts digestible to laymen like me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Two Old Women and Plant-Parenting.

I just finished "Chance Are . . ." by Richard Russo, one of my favorite contemporary authors. I think he has a big heart and it really shows in his writing. I really enjoyed the book, and it's given me some food for thought about how different my young adulthood would have been if the Vietnam war draft was still in effect (I think I was in the 8th grade when the war ended).

Yppej
    Becoming by Michelle Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Becoming by Michelle Obama.
    How do you like it? My mom was reading it and said she was enjoying it, but I noticed that it got put down quite some time ago and not picked up again.

I really enjoyed Becoming by M Obama. I learned a lot about the diversity of the black experience, the obstacles and the support that are so important to succeed.

I have been wating to read Louise Penny's latest mystery, 'A Better Man' which I just picked up from the library. Any opinions to share about this book? I read an interview where she said she based the hero, Gamache, physical appearance on her late husband. I have enjoyed all the previous volumes.
    So many mysteries are filled with blood and gore and really malice, Penny's is more about the thought of those involved and correcting it or providing an alternative.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    It is well written. I suspected a ghostwriter, Googled it and found out that is indeed the case. Barack razzed her about it because he wrote his books himself.

Thanks! I guess if the ghost writer made it a more readable experience, I would tend to favor that.

Thread Information