Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: February Frugals

Yppej
    Got free food at work yesterday and today, including some rolls left on the free table today that I took home. I am going to fry some onions, layer them on the bread, and put leftover condiments I have at home on top. Cheap and easy.

Winter clothes are already on sale here in the SW, so I've picked up a few children's size clothes at Kohl's. Price range was $3 to $6. These are put in the closet until the holiday clothing drive. Between that and some other small purchases for myself I ended up with $10 Kohl's cash at the register.

Another drive is specifically for baby items for new mothers and new care-taker grandparents. I've been surprised to find many new baby items at Goodwill (pacifiers and bottles still in the package, clothing with tags still on) so I pick those up on half-price day for their annual collection in the fall.

I think I've mentioned before that I wish I was one of those hard-core savvy shoppers so I could do more, but I'm pleased that my little outlay of cash will still help a few kids who really need it.

Goodwill gets donations from stores of new items. Nice of you Lainey to help.

Yppej
    What a coincidence. I went to Kohl's last night and got one winter item on sale.
    Last edited by Yppej; 2-16-19 at 6:22pm.

I know this is preaching to the choir, but I just love our library! I just picked up 2 books, 2 movies, and printed several forms that I needed for various things. It costs me $.15 per page to print, and I don't have to own a printer or buy toner cartridges, so I think it's a great deal since I don't need to print stuff all that often. There is even a free yoga class coming up at the library, but it conflicts with carpentry class, so I won't be able to take advantage of that one.

We bought a printer for 40 so they have gotten very cheap. We probably print more than you do.

Yppej
    My red wallet has the leather scraped off on the corners. I touched it up with nail polish rather than buy a new one.

DH made a large beef stew Sunday in the Crock Pot. We had it for dinner Sun and have enough for 3 more meals.

We'll see if this is frugal but I'm thinking it will be. I think I posted (in this thread?) that I got my new eyeglasses from Warby Parker at a cost almost half of what I last paid for eyeglasses locally (though WP is now local with an outpost in Minneapolis).

After living with these eyeglasses for about six weeks now, I've concluded that I got what I paid for but I'm not unhappy with the purchase. The frames lack those hinges that can handle being extended in the wrong direction without breaking and I can tell the high-index lenses are not my preferred Seikos or Nikons (they have a very small sweet spot of sharp focus). But for several hundred dollars in savings I'm okay with them.

The frugal is that I typically suffer frame damage way before the lenses get damaged or the lens prescription is no longer appropriate for me. So I bought another frame just like the ones I have ($85) and will put them aside until the inevitable happens and these frames break. This also forestalls the problem of having perfectly good lenses that no longer fit discontinued frames (what drove me to WP and replacing my eyeglasses in the first place). It may seem odd to spend money and hope I never have to use it, but I'd rather bet $85 against $455, especially given my personal history and on a pair of frames which are not quite as robust as what I'm used to.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Dinner: roasted veg from yesterday. Rice from the freezer. Chicken from the freezer.

Thread Information