Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: February Frugals

The brisket and Mac&cheese sounds delicious!

Yppej
    My son gave me more cans of food he does not want, mainly corn and peaches, so not part of the keto diet but I have fallen off that boring bandwagon anyways.

Well, we have 2 wrinkled apples left.

Breakfasts this weekend: hashbrown casserole and sausage from the freezer alongside fresh eggs (I have 2dz farm fresh delivered each week for $4-crazy right!)

Dinner last night was chicken sausage and pesto from the freezer and steamed broccoli from earlier this week. Pesto pasta! Yum!

Dinner tonight? Well, need to dig in the freezer again....haven't thought about it yet.

We're just eating 2meals/day on weekends.

Tomorrow we will get some fresh food in the house....unless hubby volunteers to go to Costco today.

Gardnr: You've done well with mining your freezer! We are trying to do a bit of the same. Last night we had some frozen appetizers from Trader Joe's we had forgotten about. Tonight DH is going to make fish cakes from some frozen cod. We have a whole bag of frozen sockeye, so some salmon entrees are in our near future. I think I should probably keep a list of things we put into the freezer.
    After the last romaine scare, I started buying green leaf lettuce. I got a bit annoyed about being told once again to throw away all my romaine! I buy a loose head rather than the packaged hearts of romaine I had been buying, and it is way cheaper!
    I still had a $25 Starbucks gift card that was a retirement gift. We went to SB yesterday and bought 2 bags of coffee beans, so I felt good about using it for a practical indulgence.
    I did our taxes as always, which saved us from paying someone else to do them. I think that's all for now!

Yppej
    I have started eating some carbs as I got bored with the keto diet. They are definitely cheaper. Yesterday I made scalloped potatoes and today polenta.

Pantry day: I cooked 3c black beans and 3c jasmine rice. I used 2c each and mixed with shredded cheddar and 1c corn both from the freezer.

At the moment there is a pan of cornbread in the oven.

This will be dinner and then lunches for a few days.

From the freezer for tomorrow night: 1 piece salmon, 1 piece cod that hubby will grill. Green beans will come from the freezer and we'll have a slice of cornbread too.

Tuesday night: chicken from the freezer onto the grill. Add a piece of cornbread and some corn from the freezer.

Wednesday night: ground beef from the freezer, cornbread if any has survived, and a salad. YEs, hubby did the fresh food run to Costco this morning-he was ready to get out of the house and i'm happy to be housebound for 60 hours before my return to work.

I'll be going to the store on my way home tomorrow to replenish the pantry and get some milk and yogurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I have started eating some carbs as I got bored with the keto diet. They are definitely cheaper. Yesterday I made scalloped potatoes and today polenta.
    Yppej: I've been trying to decrease our reliance on starchy carbs, but I could not imagine eliminating them completely. No pasta? No way!

I sold several of books and some video games at a local bookstore for about $30 total. Less than if I had sold them separately, but more than I was expecting. I've been cooking at home much more, and I want to keep doing that. I work in a pet store and have several pets, so I've been resisting getting them extra unnecessary toys and treats. Luckily, my dog loves carrots, blueberries, and bananas.

Yppej
    I also do my own taxes and my son and I do our own driveway clearing, though during the night the neighbor cleared some of the wintry mix with his snowblower.

just made the laundry soap, approx. 2 dollar for a five gallon bucket of laundry detergent. Even added the soap slivers to this batch--annoying, but frugal.

Thread Information