Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two takes on the huge fentanyl bust ......the largest ever to date, at the Nogales,

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Two takes on the huge fentanyl bust ......the largest ever to date, at the Nogales,

Arizona Port of Entry:

On the one hand, I am very grateful this fentanyl was intercepted by US CBP before it could hit American streets. I read online that the amount involved was enough to kill 57 million people!!! Think of the entire states of California, Arizona, and New York dead - this is (very roughly) 57 million people. I was so impressed with US CBP that I actually gave them a call (but I ended out calling the wrong Port of Entry in Nogales, though) to thank them for their attention to detail in finding this and the Officer that answered said that's the first time he's ever gotten such a call.

OTOH.....this huge fentanyl bust? The proposed wall would not have stopped this attempt as the fentanyl (along with some pounds of methamphetamine) was found in a produce truck hauling Mexican cucumbers....a wall would not have stopped this attempt by a produce truck to enter the US. I'm bringing this up to highlight that a wall is not going to solve all issues the GOP is up in arms about.

What do you'all think? Anyone else relieved to see this fentanyl not making it to the street, but also more cynical about any effectiveness of an expensive, controversial, ally-antogonizing/off-putting/insulting wall? Rob

It's well known among people versed in national security that this kind of cargo comes in at points of entry.
    The wall is just a land grab/power trip/racist sop to Trump's base.

I'm glad the Fentanyl shipment was intercepted before it could do its inevitable damage. I wish border security would direct their resources toward this kind of thing and quit terrorizing downtrodden asylum seekers and desperate workers. ICE is a disgrace, IMO.

My brother was an Arizona border patrol agent for many years. He does not support the wall.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    My brother was an Arizona border patrol agent for many years. He does not support the wall.
    Hi Pinkytoe. Just curious...did your brother give any reasons as to why? It would be interesting to get the take of someone in the trenches who's also against the wall is the reason I ask. Rob

"The Wall" him must have is his attempt to fill a broken campaign promise that Mexico will buy it for us. Even if he has to steal $5.7B from the American taxpayers

It pisses me off to no end!

My brother says that the wall would help in some areas but that the real problem is years of ineffective policies. Too little too late and too many areas/ways for undocumented to enter; you would have to wall the whole country.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    My brother says that the wall would help in some areas but that the real problem is years of ineffective policies. Too little too late and too many areas/ways for undocumented to enter; you would have to wall the whole country.
    Not only too many places to enter, but too many ways for them to survive while here illegally.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Not only too many places to enter, but too many ways for them to survive while here illegally.
    And we certainly wouldn't want any of those undocumented workers or asylum seekers (human beings) to actually survive...

Guest worker documents should be issued to anyone willing to work. Then they could pay even more taxes than they do currently. https://www.vox.com/2018/4/13/172290...ants-pay-taxes

Well, the President condoned undocumented workers into January 2019. His fancy resort in NY just fired them all. One person interviewed had worked their 14 years. What an A$$hat.

I read that a drug dog sniffed it out and alerted the BP.....good dog!! I hope the new compromise budget includes canine-training to sniff out drugs at all entry points!

Thread Information