Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here's social progress for you!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Here's social progress for you!

No snark, I am genuinely impressed and appreciative of what I am about to post.

It turns out that the Mayor of South Bend, Indiana is putting his hat in the ring to possibly run for President in 2020 as a Democrat. No biggie in just that but he's also a married, openly gay man. I am so floored - I think his chances of winning are about as high as me being struck by lightning in Phoenix, Arizona - but it says a lot to me that he is running openly as a gay man - even ten years ago this would not have been possible. And the recent new Governor of Colorado? Also an openly gay man and the nation's first openly gay Governor....even under the Trump years this is happening. As much as I complain about this country, I will also say that I am very deeply moved and also impressed by this social progress.

Kudos! Rob

As a fairly new Colorado resident, I am impressed with Gov Polis so far. He is kind of kooky and has hit the ground running. It surprises me that all the staid conservatives here keep their mouths shut about his sexual identity.

There seems to be an upswing in GLBT candidates everywhere. Oregon's governor Kate Brown is bisexual, for example*. I like Sharice Davids, a Native American cage-fighting lesbian attorney and newly-elected representative from Kansas, personally. It's easy to forget that not so long ago, many of our politicians, entertainers, teachers, scientists, etc. were forced to closet themselves in fear of retribution and sometimes their lives.

*And Seattle's last, not particularly effective, but scandal-ridden mayor was gay, IIRC.

Tea
    I disagree with your assessment of Pete Buttigieg's chances of winning. He's charismatic and a good speaker, appeals to many younger voters, and has been a pretty popular mayor. Not only that, but as a well-liked mayor of a major city in a red state, I think he would have a good chance of turning Indiana blue if he does run, and having a certain degree of "popular local figure" influence on voters in the neighboring swing states of Michigan and Ohio, too. This is not to be construed as an endorsement - I am only cautiously optimistic about him as a candidate, policies wise - but I would not underestimate his chances of winning. I was actually glad when he finally decided to run, because I think he has the potential to increase voter turnout. And if his sexual orientation, military service while openly gay, and marital status can be non-issues in a city like South Bend, I don't really see it being an issue anywhere else that has any potential of going to a Democrat in the first place. We are indeed seeing progress in certain areas of society.

Now I will be surprised the day that an openly gay Republican candidate has any chance of winning a national election - but a few decades from now, who knows?

I don't usually pay any attention to Seattle politics, so I hadn't realized that Seattle's current mayor, Jenny Durkan, is a lesbian. Obviously, sexual orientation is a non-issue around here.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Obviously, sexual orientation is a non-issue around here.
    Are you sure it's not a requirement?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Are you sure it's not a requirement?
    You’re mistaking seattle for palm sorings.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    You’re mistaking seattle for palm sorings.
    My Bad!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    ....he's also a married, openly gay man.
    http://theconversation.com/why-same-...eration-103702

While I would agree that legally entangling oneself to another person seems to be the opposite of liberating I think the ability to do so is, in fact, liberating.

Thread Information