Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hopeful about Bipartisan Budget

Hopeful about Bipartisan Budget

I'm actually pretty hopeful that Congress can craft a workable budget which funds appropriate border security, including technology, more personnel, and physical barriers/fencing where appropriate. (This would let Trump save face; he'd call it a wall, and Pelosi would save face, too, cuz she's calling it fencing) I would hope the "where and when appropriate" part would involve much deliberation.
    I think we have all been very displeased w/the govt shutdown, including politicians who want to be re-elected. I also think politicians as well as the American taxpayer are appalled by the idea that a president can just label something a "national emergency" and avoid the rule of our land, which states that Congress makes the budget.
    So, call me a cock-eyed optimist, but I just think survival instincts will ensure that our elected reps make a bipartisan, reasonable deal on this one. I've taken my senators and representatives as pen-pals, and I send each one a little note about this issue every day. I've also added Mitch McConnell to my pen-pal list, urging him to bring up said budget for a vote. As of today, I just found out the names of the Appropriations Committee Chairs in the Senate (Richard Shelby) and the House (Nita Lowey), so they'll be hearing from me, too.
    I'm also letting each one know that I favor the "stop STUPIDITY bill" (that's its' real name!!), sponsored by Sen Mark Warner, which would state that future inability to reach budget negotiations would mandate that all government agencies simply continue working and getting paid according to the previous budget. All govt agencies, that is, EXCEPT the legislative branches and the president. They would not get paid until a new budget was approved (this is my favorite news to share with my pen-pals!)
    How 'bout y'all? Optimistic? Pessimistic? Realistic?

Dont care anymore.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Dont care anymore.
    IL....I once felt this way for a brief period of time, when things seemed irreparably beyond hope in my life. I'm not saying you are in such a situation - what I am saying is that I have been there myself. And certainly you have every right to not care what's going on, I am not bashing you here in the slightest. All I am saying is that things in my life shifted and changed and I found that I cared deeply once again. And now with my 85006 activism (and other activism, too) not caring is thankfully not an option in my case - at least as I see it. But I can also understand there may be some peace in not caring - I get that. Some serenity, some tranquility. I hold myself to a different standard and within this standard, I'm not going to know this peace and tranquility, truth be told. But at least I can personally live with myself having made these choices - as I'm sure you can live with yourself for the choices you have made here. To each their own, no? Rob

I am very disturbed by how our representatives are acting. They are hurting real families and they don’t care.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Dont care anymore.
    Now you have this running through my head:

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    IL....I once felt this way for a brief period of time, when things seemed irreparably beyond hope in my life. I'm not saying you are in such a situation - what I am saying is that I have been there myself. And certainly you have every right to not care what's going on, I am not bashing you here in the slightest. All I am saying is that things in my life shifted and changed and I found that I cared deeply once again. And now with my 85006 activism (and other activism, too) not caring is thankfully not an option in my case - at least as I see it. But I can also understand there may be some peace in not caring - I get that. Some serenity, some tranquility. I hold myself to a different standard and within this standard, I'm not going to know this peace and tranquility, truth be told. But at least I can personally live with myself having made these choices - as I'm sure you can live with yourself for the choices you have made here. To each their own, no? Rob
    I have other things to get steamed about.*I cannot do anything about idiot politicians especially those all the hell thenway in DC.

*like—yesterday my keyboard split on an Ipad. Wtf. Whyyyyyy??? I hit a wrong button, apparently. Had to google how to turn that off at the Settings level since I coild not figure out how to toggle it off. I hate crap like that.

At the end of the day the budget will be bipartisan. Reoublicans control the senate and dems control the house. Since the budget has to get through both houses if congress it will most definitely be bipartisan.

The "Stop Stupidity Bill" sounds like a wonderful idea!

Williamsmith
    Our country has a history of disagreement/polarization and a history of resolving it through protest/violence. We specialize in violence. From the very beginnings ....from the whiskey rebellion through the civil war through the civil rights protests through Vietnam ...we beat each other up, threaten, break things and kill to come to a resolution. There is nothing bipartisan about our DNA.

The good thing is that our Constitution provides a framework for all this violence to work in and still preserve itself. But eventually Congress has to figure out a way to turn away from using the national debt as an economic growth model. Or all that violence will someday will spill out of that framework and consume itself. A society without rule of law will be very ugly indeed and we won’t be needing border patrol or walls.....Canada and Mexico will.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Our country has a history of disagreement/polarization and a history of resolving it through protest/violence. We specialize in violence. From the very beginnings ....from the whiskey rebellion through the civil war through the civil rights protests through Vietnam ...we beat each other up, threaten, break things and kill to come to a resolution. There is nothing bipartisan about our DNA...
    We’ve been attending a series of lectures about our local St. Louis neighborhood history, and one of our local famous men, a US senator, famously solved a problem by challenging his political opponent to a dual. They shot each other up a little bit, and then went on to work together in politics.

This dual fighting business was not all that unusual because I encountered it when reading up on Hermann history.

Sometimes people died in these skirmishes, sometimes they were injured, sometimes they walked away it is very weird they all seem to be fairly bad shots.

Thread Information