Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Five minute February challenge

I had a similar realization recently regarding keeping the house somewhat in order... that if I could do some of the not-weekly chores, such as straightening particular kitchen cabinets or wiping off refrigerator shelves (which usually turns into a 2-hour task due to the infrequency at which I attempt it) on a more regular basis, it would be far easier and a nicer place to be all the time. But most days after working and commuting, cooking, cleaning up, prepping lunches, taking care of the pets... I'm pretty much ready to don pajamas and read a book. I made a chart with one such task each day for each person in the house. The idea is that it will only take 3-5 minutes per day per person to keep things up, and limit the all-day cleaning we typically do before a guest visits.

Well, yesterday I discovered that planning to do my five minutes when I hit home was not a good plan.
    day 6 - nothing

so this morning I made sure to get it done
    day 7 - wrapped broken mirror in cardboard and put it and the trash can lid that doesn’t fit any of our trash cans in a trash can.

i put the lid out last week too. This week I taped a big note on it that says “this lid IS TRASH”

The end of the day is hard. I noticed once I turned 50 I would come home and put a simple meal on the table because we were raising my 14 yo stepson and then I was mostly done except for talking, reading or watching TV.

Full days of school kick my behind. Also, it dropped to the teens after I got home last night.
    day 8 - nothing again.

but they did take the trash can lid this time.

Day 9 - put another large broken plastic thing in the big trash can, and a small thing in the donate box.

Day 10
    cleaned up a plant tray and a bucket

Day 11
    brought the two babygates dd borrowed for her puppy into the house and washed them. Halfway through washing them, decided baby gate design has probably improved in the last 25 years and if anybody has a baby, we can buy new ones. We have 4, so i’m going to keep one for times I need to block little goats or bunnies on the dining porch and get rid of the rest. Dd doesn’t want them back.

Day 12

got a hammer and nails and hung the tools that were leaning against the wall/falling over.

carried a random 2x4 back to the wood rack in the shop.

You are doing great, CL!
    I need to make progress on the cellar, which is a bit daunting. I'm trying to spend 15 - 30 mins or so here and there, or come up with one small concrete task at a time. Yesterday, I went through 2 storage boxes of crafts supplies and whittled them down to one.

Threw out a featherbed that had gotten dirty and afraid putting it in the washing machine would break it.

Took old dog kennel out to street and someone took it, so that's great.

Returned violin blanket to violin--it had been on my bedroom floor, who knows why.

Thread Information