Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Five minute February challenge

Day 13 - nothing.

day 14 - threw out another old pair of shoes

CL, just curious as to whether or not you are seeing the end of the tunnel on the garage cleaning? and if your DH has noticed progress?

Well, I keep thinking “this is the last easy thing” and finding another one. I see a difference, but I don’t think it is half done. Dh has not noticed because he worked last weekend and he leaves in the dark and gets home in the dark. He might notice if he doesn’t work tomorrow.

Day 15 - nothing.
    Day 16, found a hanging thing with pockets and hung up some more tools.

still nothing from dh, but I am close to cleaning off the top of the dresser I bought to refinish. If I move that (to the basement, i’m waiting for summer to refinish it outside) and he doesn’t notice, he’s going to get a lecture on how to motivate people to do stuff (and why the things that are less important to me get neglected)

also, you would think a centipede lived in this house! I have no idea which pairs of boots are his and which were abandoned on the shelf by our son. The adorable frog boots are now too small for ❤️Gs, And could probably be stored in the basement in case if a rare child visitor who needs to borrow them, my tennis shoes need to be washed and returned to my closet.....

and i’m Not sure why we are still storing THREE basketballs in the garage when the basketball hoop has been removed for at least 5 years.

also, I am not recording small bits of trash or recycling that I pick up as I go, or the reduction in cardboard boxes caused by using them to transport the recycling (there is one left), or the reduction in wood scraps caused by using them to start the wood stove. (We have a lot of small pieces of untreated cedar shingle/siding and dimensional lumber collected during construction)

Sounds like the basketballs can go to the thrift store.

Does your school have basketball hoops? Come spring, those could be golden.

oops, didn’t see TTs post.
    Last edited by mschrisgo2; 2-17-19 at 2:49pm. Reason: clarity

Day 17 - confirmed that dh does want to keep all nine pairs of boots that are on his shelf.

CL, I feel for you... DH keeping 9 pairs of boots on the shelf. And you have done well getting rid of your shoes. Did he notice?

He was home yesterday. He said nice things to me about the whole house, not just the garage.

I am not upset about the boots. It is his shelf. It is neat. He wants them (and there are some special circumstances - some of them aren’t “just boots”)

my guess would be 10% of the stuff around here belongs to just dh, 30% to both of us, and 60% he would toss out in a heartbeat.

Percentages are interesting. I think 10% of the stuff in our life is mine, 40% is jointly owned, and half is my husband’s. But overall we are pretty minimalist. I’m just extreme about it.

It’s only recently that I’ve found a way to be completely ok with that. I always wanted to downsize more than he did - for about 35 years. Ha.

It helps that we bought a small house a few years ago and don’t have to move stuff anymore. And the kids are all on their own.

So now I’m able to visualize our living situation as a place where we both feel at peace, I care very little about most of the stuff but it’s a happy Buddhist acceptance in my mind, and my few things are in my realm. The rest doesn’t concern me.

I’m not sure how I got to this mental place but I like it here.

Thread Information