Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 6 1/2 week plan

Good luck Y on the job interview. T, I love the container idea too. I found out I can buy a special bag to put over my arm that’s waterproof and then I can shower and swim. All my friends are coming over to help me and my husband coming home sooner than planned.

Teacher terry, i’m glad you are getting help.

today I
    R - fixed dinner for dh and emailed a friend i’ve Been out of touch with
    H - swam 2800m
    H&O - and hauled 3 trash cans up to the road in the pouring rain(I think that counts as exercise)
    O - did my five minutes in the garage, kept up with dishes and laundry
    O&W - cleaned up another small spot in my classroom

Pottery and my garden are just not making the list. I’ve been working on the house mostly when I have blocks if tine. I need to either schedule those things or admit they are not priorities.

Yppej
    I would take the job if they offer because the pay is a lot more and the commute a little better, but the company is stuffy and hidebound. For instance, they did not like when I asked about continuous improvement initiatives.

Maybe if you see them as stuffy and hidebound, they are not a good fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Yeah, it's clear but it's too much, CL. Yppej, I like your number of things. With my list, I can't keep that many things in my head and I'm already feeling kind of driven.

So I'm modifying it:

1. Use my new planner every day, planning three or four must-dos for the following day, and keep track at end of day how it went. Record how time actually spent during day. Record successes and needs improvements before bed each evening.

Work on my own projects (not work) at least 1 hours each day.

3. Play the viola and/or cello 1/2 hour a day.

Read the 4-5 books I have accumulated on decluttering and/or time management each day for half an hour and implement at least one new routine each week.

That feels better. I guess I am thinking of making three of the four must-dos numbers 2, 3, and 4. That leaves room for only one more must-do to add each day.
    This plan is not working, so modifying it. It doesn't have to be forever, and after reading that former slob book about managing my house, I realize that I am trying to problem solve way too much and far into the future.

So, from now til March 20, new list:

1. Read on decluttering and time management, at least 1/2 hour day

2. Play viola or cello, at least 1/2 hour day

3. Use my new planner, plan out three or four must-dos that day, work on goal planning, at least 1/2 hour day

Y, that’s strange about that company. It doesn’t sound like a good fit. I liked the book so much I devoured it in one day. I thought it one of the best on the topic with the most practical advice. I think it’s helpful that she is not naturally neat

did you read decluttering at the speed of life, Terry, or How to Manage your home without losing your mind? i read the managing one from the library and now I am reading decluttering at the speed of life.

What makes the most sense to me is how she says that clutter is anything that is beyond your level to control in your house. And she talks about people having different levels of comfort with clutter. I think that is true. I am not sure about the naturally neat issue--I actually was weirded out that she was so slobby at first--like not washing the dishes every day. I get the doing laundry once a week thing and did that in the 80's but now I am much more comfortable doing a load each day--but I don't have it pile up, it gets put away.

But she is right, people have different comfort levels, and her container advice is brilliant, and thinking of the house as a container is really working for me.

I read them both. She was a bigger slob than I have ever been. I usually do the laundry once a week like I always have. Even with my broken wrist I can load/unload dishwasher, etc. I can’t hand wash pans but my friends are handling that until my husband gets home. I am going to share the container idea with my husband and tell him he can only keep what fits into the containers in his office. Not sure if it will work but you never know.

Yppej
    I got the old doctor's office to call the new doctor's office about the records. Apparently the disk format they sent cannot be opened. I will follow up again next week.

Yppej, good job on the call.

Tybee, you are learning what works for you. That is good. A small change you can stick to us better than random larger changes.

I’m reading “nony”’s blog backwards. My house has been much worse than hers. I never objected to toys with small parts.

my son used to have his father’s old dresser. When he was in preschool we were talking to his grandmother and the topic of dressers cane up. He said “I don’t have a dresser.” I was embarrassed and asked him “where do you keep your clothes?” And my honest little 4 y.o. said “in my laundry basket.”

yesterday i I did yoga with dh in the morning. He had to work really late and I waited up for him and we spent some tine together talking. (So now i’m very tired - and I have physical work to do today and plans with friends that will keep me out late tonight.)

i threw away some unclaimed projects from my classroom yesterday and returned the borrowed projector to the teacher down the hall (she was hoping I would keep it because she has no storage either and also uses it rarely)

i did the biggest, most daunting school related task while I was waiting for dh to come home.

Thread Information