Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US Postage

US Postage

55 cents for first class mail! I remember when stamps went from 2 to 3 cents... does that mean I'm old?
    HaHa

C$.89 for first class now so 55 cents sounds good to me.
    Do you recall - how much was your first hamburger at a takeout? I remember 25 years ago eating lake perch and fries at our favourite lakeside restaurant for $4.99 each and now that same dish is $13.99. Still tastes good though.
    Could be kind of fun to reminisce prices and what was considered a treat back then.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I buy the forever stamps so I don’t need to add postage when the price goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I buy the forever stamps so I don’t need to add postage when the price goes up.
    So do I but eventually that supply runs out
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yes, I mostly buy Forever stamps too. However, in cleaning out my desk a few months ago, I found lots of stamps. I had to look up the current postage rate so I could use a few of those stamps today.

The first take out food I remember was my dad taking us to McDonald's. Hamburgers were 25 cents, and fries were 10 cents.

I use so little snail mail....I bought 20 forever stamps about 2y ago.....I still have 10.

I started working at my local drive-in in 1976. burger/fries/drink for $1 with some change back. And I'm only 57!

Tea
    It always kind of upsets me when postage goes up. I still send enough real mail that the cost does add up. Granted this increase is only going to cost me another $2 per month or something, so it won't break the bank or anything, but if postage continues to go up and up faster than inflation, there is going to come a time when it just isn't worth it anymore, and that makes me sad. Letter writing is becoming such a lost art, and I don't want to change to email, phone, or social media, I want to continue sending and receiving real letters! I wish that they would raise the rate on business/bulk mail but keep it affordable for personal mail.

USPS doesn't really have a choice. They have to stay open and the use continues to drop.

I have one work vendor that wants payment by check so I use 1 stamp a month

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have one work vendor that wants payment by check so I use 1 stamp a month
    That's about what I do, too.

My DIL is a wonderfully thoughtful person who, even though she's a Millennial, she hand-writes thank-you notes, and every time she and my son go away, even if just a little weekend jaunt, she sends us postcards. (Who sends postcards anymore?) So the rise in postage is likely to impact her a little. I wish I could be more like her, but I'm guilty of simply relying on email and using snail mail as little as possible.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information