Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: US Postage

A friend of mine posted a picture of a Christmas card she sent to a friend. The front of the envelope was totally covered (with the exception of the space for the address and return address) with old stamps! It was enough to add up to the required postage ('m guessing .50). Her friend posted later that she received the card!
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    A friend of mine posted a picture of a Christmas card she sent to a friend. The front of the envelope was totally covered (with the exception of the space for the address and return address) with old stamps! It was enough to add up to the required postage ('m guessing .50). Her friend posted later that she received the card!
    I did that same thing years back, when the stamp machine at the local post office, gave $.01 stamps as change. I believe it was still thirty three cents at the time.

I still use stamps (bills, taxes, insurance, etc), cash, checks, etc.

Curious why mail checks when the bank will do it for free?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Curious why mail checks when the bank will do it for free?
    I have a credit union and to the best of my knowledge, they won't mail checks for free, nor is there anyone there, authorized with POA to sign for me.

Our bank usually sends the money electronically but when they can’t they send a check for free and they don’t need a POA for that.

Nobody signs the check. Your name is printed on the signature line

Our bank usually sends the money electronically but when they can’t they send a check for free and they don’t need a POA for that.
    For that, there is online banking, which I don't do. Between a relatives ransomware experience (I am one of the ones that gets asked to fix the computers), and known security issues (security questions that are VERY easy to answer), man in the middle issues, etc., not worth it.
    Nobody signs the check. Your name is printed on the signature line
    If they are putting your name on it, then they are required to have that authorization, legally (POA, typically limited).
    If not, then you should be consulting a lawyer and things such as the FDIC for bank fraud.

I had to buy checks about a year ago. THe old ones had my NYC address that I hadn't lived at for 14 years so I guess I don't write many checks! The new ones cost almost $.35 apiece. Between that and the postage and the ease of free online bill pay through my credit union I doubt I'll ever mail another check to pay a bill. Perhaps 30 years from now I'll be posting about how I finally used up the checks I bought back in 2017. Assuming that anyone still uses checks by then.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I bought a Speedo recently as a present for DH - from Australia, as this one seller in Melbourne had the one that I was looking for that is now no longer easily available. I was amazed at what postage from Australia to the US for something so light, I mean so so so light cost. Over $20 USD. Amazing and not in a good way. Then I think of all the social welfare Australians are worth that human life is not worth in America and I realize the money has to come from somewhere so I don't complain (much LOL). But I will admit I rather doubt it would cost that much in USD to send a Speedo or something of similar weight to Melbourne from the US.......Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 2-12-19 at 10:48pm.

International postage is a weird thing. Basically the country where something is shipped sets the rate and the country it arrives at delivers it for free. Hence all the super cheap shipping of stuff bought on amazon that comes from China.

Planet money did a podcast about it a while back:
    https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...tal-illuminati

Thread Information