Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red squirrel

We have one black squirrel who frequents our yard. He seems to be a loner and fights a lot with other squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    A few years ago I saw a black squirrel for the first time. I thought, either that squirrel is very dirty or I'm seeing something I've never seen before.

Turns out there are black squirrels. One thing I'll say for the internet, it's really handy for looking up this kind of stuff.
    And there are white squirrels. A few years ago I saw what looked like a white squirrel in our woods but thought I must have been seeing things. Did a little research and there are white/albino squirrels. I watched for and then saw 4 in a tree one day. They really stood out in the trees. Squirrels are cute from afar but not so cute when they take up living in a house. A family of 6 found their way into the house and resided in the basement ceiling. They chew things, chewed into the dog food tote and ate dog food, dug up all the potatoes and other vegetable plants that I had started in the greenhouse. Cute but can be destructive.

A couple years ago, we seemed to have a fair number of young squirrels with white tails. By the end of summer, though, they were mostly brown again. Strange.

white-tailed squirrel.jpg

I had a very talented squirrel once.

talented squirrel.jpg

One of the things I miss living here in Phoenix is watching the antics of squirrels. Although we have a wonderful variety of birds, especially in the winter, they don't seem to have the "personality" of something like a squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Great shot! DH wants to know what kind of camera you are using??
    Hi pinkytoe! Sorry I forgot to answer your question.

The camera I use (if I don't catch something with my iPhone) is a Canon EOS Rebel XTi. The lens I use is a Canon zoom lens 70-300. I take most of my pics with this lens. I would love to have a stronger zoom lens, but the larger one might be too hard for my arthritic hands to hold. After I used my present zoom lens for a few years, it doesn't seems as "zoom-y" as I'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    And there are white squirrels. A few years ago I saw what looked like a white squirrel in our woods but thought I must have been seeing things. Did a little research and there are white/albino squirrels. I watched for and then saw 4 in a tree one day. They really stood out in the trees. Squirrels are cute from afar but not so cute when they take up living in a house. A family of 6 found their way into the house and resided in the basement ceiling. They chew things, chewed into the dog food tote and ate dog food, dug up all the potatoes and other vegetable plants that I had started in the greenhouse. Cute but can be destructive.
    There is a town not far from me known for their white squirrels, Marionville, MO. We've been battling with the squirrels a lot the past few years. They chew the wood on the dormers and barn roof on the studio. Husband is having to go up after each rain and reapply the repel all product.We'll be painting this spring and I'm dreading the first chewing incident after the new paint.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

It's weird, but our squirrels chew on the posts that are holding up the roof to our porch. Why do they do that? They have trees and leaves, why do they chew on our wood? Or does it taste just like a tree and they get confused? You'd think paint would deter them.

DH told me that squirrels chew on just about anything to keep their teeth sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    DH told me that squirrels chew on just about anything to keep their teeth sharp.
    We have tons of black walnuts around, which is great to sharpen their teeth on. You can hear them in the woods, eating through the shell. Black walnuts are so hard, I can't believe how much work they have to go through to get the nutmeat.
    Also, they love stripping the bark off my tulip tree branches for their nest material. Oh well. I'm on their land, not vise versa.

Thread Information