Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The stupid wall

WS, that makes sense. Too bad because those skills are rare and can be a huge money maker in the right place.

Just got back from taking a vacation to the Rio Grande area of TX. I asked MANY people who live there what they thought of the wall. Interestingly, only one person said they were in favor of the wall. He was an older Mexican gentleman. He was very quiet and did not want to elaborate. I thought this was interesting!

Williamsmith
    How can anyone not be in favor of securing our border?

We are secure enough. Most people don’t sneak in. They overstay their visas.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    What are we building a wall for? Just quit handing out visas. NOW....we will need a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    People keep saying that, although it's based upon a report that in 2017, 600,000 people overstayed their visas vs 300,000 people being apprehended at the border. What the report doesn't give us is the number of people who successfully made it across the border without being apprehended.

The same logic is used when people talk about drugs coming across the border, the claim that most drugs come through legal points of entry is based upon the amount of drugs discovered at points of entry vs the amount of drugs found on people crossing the border illegally. Do we have any idea how much we've missed at either location? Logic says a much higher percentage will be found at controlled inspection points rather than open border areas.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    How can anyone not be in favor of securing our border?
    There are more effective ways than building a fence.

We have technology and don’t need a wall

I read that almost all of El Chapo's drug smuggling was done through legal ports of entry. Walls would not have stopped his drugs, thugs or runners.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Is now becoming the stupid dangerous wall.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...es/2806020002/
    Thank You, jp1, for posting this. This is the concertina wire I mentioned in a post on another thread. I have not been to Nogales since this concertina wire was installed but I know people in my neighborhood and also some people I know in Tucson who have seen it and photographed it and it's true, this is no exaggeration, concertina wire to this extent has indeed been installed. Honestly? Total overkill and a total slap in the face to Mexico. When I stop and think of all that Mexico has done for me over the years - need I enumerate yet again at this point? - I have a very hard time forgiving this. It's just so over the top and so unnecessary.

Technology already exists to apprehend illegal aliens as they try to cross and there truly is no crisis at the border. There are drugs that do get in - this much is true - so in this case I'd agree that there are issues that need to be addressed. But not a huge crisis ala European Refugees Circa 2015. Listen to the mayors of border cities such as El Paso and Nogales, Arizona, to get a handle on the real story.....and speak to people who actually live in the borderlands. You will find that most (but not 100%, I give the Conservatives that here and now) are against the damned wall. Rob

Thread Information