Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The stupid wall

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We have technology and don’t need a wall
    I could not agree more....why not use the 5 Billion USD to house homeless vets in tiny houses, and get them trained for some kind of work so that they can have the dignity of being housed and contributing to society once again? Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    How can anyone not be in favor of securing our border?
    Antagonizing Mexico unnecessarily potentially cuts off a huge safety valve for the many American citizens priced out of American health care and whose lives are not worth access to health care in the United States. We don't need a wall - technology already exists to apprehend illegal entrants. I would agree, however, that we need more resources to intercept narcotics as they smuggled across the border in produce trucks and other vehicles from Mexico. A wall will not stop this drug flow.....and in my mind, this is the main problem at the border, the huge amount of narcotics that escape detection and are successfully smuggled across the border. I would agree that this is indeed a major problem but I stop short at blaming Mexico for this problem - if we didn't have such a culture of winners and losers in the US, there would be no real need for drugs - at least not to today's level of usage in America. Were it not for our demand, Mexico would have no incentive to provide supply. But once again, this much is a problem, I'd agree with that, anyway. Rob

If we really want people to stop coming we need to incentivize good behavior by employers. Perhaps a law stating that any employer whose employees are found to be undocumented shall be required to sponsor them for work permits. Employers could then decide whether taking the risk was really worth it instead of the situation we have now where they turn a blind eye and then suffer no consequences when caught.

SO works in HR for a large well known hotel company. When they purchased a boutique hotel from a much smaller company and he was responsible for "rehiring" all the current employees into his company on the day the sale went through he had to fire half the kitchen staff because they didn't have the necessary papers to show that they could work here. The small company, with much less mainstream name recognition, wasn't worried about the PR problem that would've happened if it had made the news that they had so many undocumented workers. SO's much larger employer couldn't take that risk. If there had been ramifications for the smaller company they wouldn't have taken such a risk either.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If we really want people to stop coming we need to incentivize good behavior by employers. Perhaps a law stating that any employer whose employees are found to be undocumented shall be required to sponsor them for work permits. Employers could then decide whether taking the risk was really worth it instead of the situation we have now where they turn a blind eye and then suffer no consequences when caught.
    This, right here, is the most sane, humane, solution I have heard in all of the discussions about "illegal immigrants." The hotel industry is a hugely dependent upon these people, and vice versa. Give them a way to make it legal.

Williamsmith
    I think jp1 hit the nail on the head. What we don’t need is a “stupid wall”. We need a “smart” one. Which could include any number of technologies like, radar, drones, sensors, laser and high frequency noise deterrents. Usually there is an expensive start up cost for research and development but the southern border affords a unique opportunity to experiment on live subjects.......volunteers if you will ....apparently an endless supply of volunteers.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    This, right here, is the most sane, humane, solution I have heard in all of the discussions about "illegal immigrants." The hotel industry is a hugely dependent upon these people, and vice versa. Give them a way to make it legal.
    I've been preaching "work permits" for years, or some variation of same. The system as it stands makes fugitives of hard working people, and enriches employers like Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've been preaching "work permits" for years, or some variation of same. The system as it stands makes fugitives of hard working people, and enriches employers like Trump.
    How hard could it be to come up with a sane "guest worker" policy?

Williamsmith
    Because by the time it cleared Congress it would be attached with a mandatory minimum wage of $20/hr for guest workers. As well as, four weeks vacation, bereavement leave for pets and pay disability pay for anyone unwilling to work.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    How hard could it be to come up with a sane "guest worker" policy?
    I'm no policy wonk, but it seems much cheaper and more effective than mass ICE roundups and baby jails. I guess Stephen Miller and his sadist contingent in the Trump administration salivate over the pain they're causing. I'm sure they loved the Khashoggi tapes. (Yeah, I know--hyperbole.)

Thread Information