Thread: Awesome video on food shopping for those on food stamps/tight budget

Awesome video on food shopping for those on food stamps/tight budget

Discovered this video off a frugality group on FB. Funny AND educational. I'm surprised there wasn't some pasta included. This is at NYC prices, so think of how much more you can get in a lower COL area.

From 1989 - 1994, our grocery budget for a family of 5 was $50 a week. This included toiletries and medications/prescriptions.

I went to 3-4 different stores on shopping day and only bought each stores specials, supplementing with generic versions of things. And if there were damaged packages/cans I bought all of them at less than half price.

It can be done but it’s a lot of planning and time involved.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    I thought the video had some really good tips on stretching a small food budget....I learned quite a bit. The tip about frozen vegetables was interesting. I DO end up discarding some fresh produce that's gone bad...some wilted veggies go into soup, but liquid spinach has got to go...will try more frozen vegetables, but the very best are home-grown...but they all seem to come ripe at the same time...
    peaceful, easy feeling

I thought the speaker was a young man but it is young woman. I shared this link with others as I liked the approach taken to managing food costs.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Great video! Not one to "follow" folks, but this individual is interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

This is a street smart young person! I used to eat more like him but my income increased a lot and my social prejudices snuck back into my shopping list. Finally I joined the Weavers way food coop in Philadelphia which has a good bulk goods department and am buying more food in bulk again. It is more economical and may require a lot less packaging!

I do the majority of my food shopping at Grocery Outlet. I usually save about 40% over retail.

I watched this again and love the ideas and food suggestions. I think the biggest issue I would face with this grocery list is the fact that there are some folks in my household that eat WAY MORE than most suggested serving sizes.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I watched part of it again and discovered that she lived on the street for a while. Remarkable individual!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information