Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One eye watering a lot

One eye watering a lot

In the past several months, I noticed that when I would be outside in the cold, my one eye would water. A few days ago, It started watering constantly. It also itches.
    The eye doesn't look red. I've read that it can be from an infection, an allergy, a blocked tear duct, or a rare tumor.

I'm going to use warm, moist compresses on the eye a few times a day, and use a homemade nasal spray, in case the nose is the problem (where tears empty into).

I've been using Thera-tears drops, but it doesn't seem to help.

Any experience with this?
    Thanks!

Hi, both my eyes were watering to the point people thought I was crying! It was embarrassing. So I was due for an eye exam anyway and I asked about it. It can be that your eyes are too dry. I got a eye warming mask from Walgreens, it warms in the microwave for 20 seconds and then you wear it for 5 minutes. It really works great and was under $15. Then I use eye drops like you do, they said 4 times a day. If that is not working I would call or visit the eye dr to rule out anything more serious.

My allergies cause that.

CathyA,
    I had the same response as Zoe Girl. At the start of menopause my eyes were watering but at the same time felt dry. Had to use eye drops for a year or so until things settled down. Worth a visit to your eye doc though - don't want to ignore something as vital as your eyesight.

See an ophthalmologist. For a number of years I had periodic bouts of eye inflammation--sometimes one eye, sometimes the other--which was initially misdiagnosed (by several different GPs) as recurrent conjunctivitis (i.e., pinkeye). Then six years ago I had a particularly bad outbreak, I finally saw an ophthalmologist and it turned out not to be conjunctivitis but iritis, which is a chronic viral (as opposed to bacterial) inflammation of the eye. It's treated with steroids, not antibiotics, and left untreated can cause serious problems. In my case, the steroid treatment aggravated my glaucoma and cataracts and I had to have surgery last spring to treat both.

Don't take chances with your vision. Get a confirmed diagnosis and proper treatment.

Do you sleep on that side?
    I've had that problem, and as long as I'm careful not to bury my eye in my (pellet) pillow, I'm OK.

Thanks everyone. The thing is, it's only one eye. I'm thinking I have a blocked tear duct. But I'm giving it another day 0r 2 and then I'll see the ophthalmologist. I'm trying not to jump the gun. I want to give my body time to take care of things........because sometimes the doc's do way too much and it causes even more troubles. But I definitely won't wait too long.

I wonder too about my nasal mask cpap......and if sometimes the air blows at that eye? Yeah, I do sleep mostly on the right side.

I can't believe this. In January, almost every part of my body started hurting (even more than usual with my fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis, TMJ, etc.) and now this eye thing. Sometimes I think these wild fluctuations in temperature must wreak havoc on our systems. Weird how some people seem to grow old "gracefully" and some of us do the opposite.

Better something simple than "a rare tumor."

I'm not growing old gracefully, my gait these days is some combination of a giant sloth and that jacked-up guy from Men in Black. But it could be a lot worse.

That happens with my left eye. I have ocular rosacea as well as blepharitis. I use eyelid scrubs to open up the pores in my lashes as well as eyedrops. I found a heated mask that runs off a USB plug. Love it to pieces. 1/2 hour with that and I'm as good as new.

Hi Simplemind.........what are eyelid scrubs? Are they something OTC? Is it okay to heat up both eyes, if only one is having problems?
    Zoe mentioned one of those earlier, and they sound useful.

Thread Information