Thread: Raffle for family?

Raffle for family?

Some of you may recall my recent post about my friend who lost her grandson. This is another socially awkward post about that family. Recently, on Facebook, a friend of the family created a page for a "basket raffle" for the deceased's family, sponsored by a local branch of the Lions Club. It lasts all day long, with a cash bar but no food.

Darlene (see other post) texted me yesterday (after no word about the missed birthday etc.) to ask if I'm going. I told her I didn't know. I'm still trying to move house and now am WAY behind. So I'm short of time.

It's rather unclear as to the purpose of this event--it just says to benefit the family. I don't know if they need money for the funeral, or what. Believe me, my friend and her husband do not have money problems. In the past, I've contributed to GoFundMe things for people who lost their homes in a fire, for my jobless friend's funeral, etc.

Has anyone ever heard of a raffle like this? Maybe I just don't get out enough. I'm not sure I want to go. My friend hasn't been in touch with me. I thought this might be a good opportunity, but I get this feeling that if she wanted to she would call me. As you all advised, perhaps this is part of stepping back?

test reply

Never heard of this. Why give money to a family that doesn’t need it? I wouldn’t go.

I have never heard of this. Are you supposed to bring a basket of food to raffle off? I just think it is odd to have a day long event with booze and no food--and generally a really bad idea.

Personally, I would pass.

I am chary about giving “money to the family” of the deceased. I generally do not do it. Since this is a young man with no children to support, what is the money for? Your questions are good ones. Personally, I would avoid it.

If the kid is 18 the parents aren’t responsible for medical bills and cremation is cheap.

Odd. I understand if someone is destitute and needs funds for an unexpected funeral (although I find that over the top personally.). Or a fire, or a disease.

A basket raffle is generally a fundraiser for something. Guess I would wonder what the "something" is if a funeral is covered?

There are a lot of money grabs out there.

This does happen, especially with the ease of go fund me and such sites. Some are to bring donations to a cause (x died because of y, please lets fund Y research, etc), and some are just because someone thinks it would be a good thing.

Makes me think of those vehicles with "in memory of" on the back window and how my thought is they died and you bought a vehicle.

The child was 13, and I have no idea if he was cremated or not. there was a memorial service but no body or urn was present according to Spouse.

You could donate a basket to this, or just go and bid on one. The mother of the child is gainfully employed, so is his father and his mother's fiance. So really, I'm not getting this. It seems like a way to bring up all the grief all over again.

I've decided not to go. Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this one.

Thread Information