Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is banking through your cell phone riskier than using your home computer?

Is banking through your cell phone riskier than using your home computer?

Someone wants to send me money from a different bank, using Zelle. It appears that my bank only uses Zelle as a mobile app. I would prefer not to have that info on my phone.
    Is it riskier to have your banking info on your phone, versus just on your home computer?
    Thanks.

I have my banking app on my phone.

I do mobile banking, and I haven't personally heard of any problems with it. Paypal may be a more secure way to go. In the many years they;ve been operating, I think there MAY have been one breach, many years ago. It's easy and anyone can connect their accounts to it. I've never heard of Zelle

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Someone wants to send me money from a different bank, using Zelle. It appears that my bank only uses Zelle as a mobile app. I would prefer not to have that info on my phone.
    Is it riskier to have your banking info on your phone, versus just on your home computer?
    Thanks.
    I’ve been using the Chase app for years. No problem. I love Zelle. I think you’re being a bit too worried. The issue with banking apps on your phone is if you use public WiFi. If you don’t, you should be fine.

Tradd has it right. The banking app comes from a proven entity (your bank) and operates on your phone (which, to not get too technical, puts pretty much every app in its own sandbox so its interaction with any other app and, to some extent, with the operating system, is limited). In a sense, that's more secure than using your bank's site through a Web browser.

The big dangers in remote banking are using non-secure Wi-Fi and very simple passwords; both of which you could do (but shouldn't) with a laptop or desktop computer.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

It is also more risky, due to the odds of leaving your phone somewhere, verses your home computer.

Can you get the transfer then uninstall the app?

I have security on my phone so no one could even use it.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    It is also more risky, due to the odds of leaving your phone somewhere, verses your home computer.

Can you get the transfer then uninstall the app?
    That was a good idea. But the payment will be monthly. I suppose I could install/uninstall monthly on that expected date?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have security on my phone so no one could even use it.
    What kind of security do you have? And I guess I was thinking of things that could happen just in cyberspace.....whatever that means. I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff!

People can also break in and steal your home computers.

It’s best to have strong passwords or biometrics for logging into all electronics. Then the thief can not use it so it’s not a worry.

Thread Information