Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another shutdown - not sure whether to fly or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I work in surgery. Cannot telecommute for that.
    Not yet. But it’s only a matter of time.

To see my new grand-twins 800 miles away, I can fly, drive, or take the Greyhound. I would much prefer to get on a slow train but there isn't one available. Driving through Texas is grueling...

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    To see my new grand-twins 800 miles away, I can fly, drive, or take the Greyhound. I would much prefer to get on a slow train but there isn't one available. Driving through Texas is grueling...
    Ugh, 16 hours of driving is no fun. After our recent sojurn to the desert southwest, I set my limit to 12 hours.

Last summer we drove 4K but it was split up over a month

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I have been working, working, working lately....this is my high season and for whatever reason I don't fully comprehend, I'm liked where I work and further seemingly at least slightly respected, plus I have made it crystal clear I'm happy taking every shift I can while OT is available, so I have been busy. And not keeping up with things as much as I would like. But I am worried - as I've stated before, many of my neighbors in the 85006 work at the Phoenix airport, so what happens in regards to air travel/safety of said air travel is a big deal where I live. Though to be fair you could drive two miles north of me to a higher income neighborhood where issues with air safety don't impact economic survival but rather are more along the lines of risk due to air traffic controllers being stretched too thin/TSA not being paid and not having any incentive to catch dangerous contraband being attempted to be brought on board a flight.

I have heard there is a potential agreement but it is much less than Trump's requested 5.7 billion dollars and is more along the lines of fortifying what's already there vs. building a 2,000 miles plus long wall structure. My guess is that The Thug Of Orange Desperately Needing A Crash Course in Manners And Diplomacy won't sign whatever is headed to his desk under these conditions. I dread this as it means so much upheaval to so many people and so much collateral damage, all of which is unnecessary.

I do have some good news on this topic to report, however. Given that Nogales, Arizona, seems to be the poster border community for concertina wire, with the US Side of the steel wall cutting across Ambos Nogales (means both Nogaleses, and it's used frequently on both sides of Nogales) COMPLETELY covered by six rows of concertina wire.....get this, however. The City of Nogales, Arizona has requested that the wire be removed. If not, the city of Nogales will sue. I'm so proud of Nogales, I really am. There's a part of me that dislikes myself as I'm not there to protest the concertina wire - what kind of human being am I living only 2.5 hours away, knowing what I do about America and not being present to protest? I do harbor guilt over this but I also realize that this OT will only be here for another eight weeks.....and this border issue is not going away Plenty of protests will take place in the future so I'm taking solace in that. Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 2-12-19 at 9:36pm.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I've travelled by rail a lot, in Europe. It's great.

The US is however quite large compared to European nations, and if you look at the network node-graph required to connect "the flyover country" in the US, it is quite a different problem than high-speed rail in Korea, say....

Rob, the orange moron needs a win so I think he will sign it and then lie like he always does.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I am astounded by all these comments. I expect that people who are so dogmatic about the threat of climate change....would be willing to give up their activities that accelerate this impending catastrophe. Well, then government will have to step in and help you give them up.
    There are actually people on this website who have given up air travel for the environment, and I admire them for that. But granted, that is not the majority.

I didn’t know that IL.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I didn’t know that IL.
    I cant remember who it was. Perhaps that person will step forward, dont be shy! Blow your own horn.

Thread Information