Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another shutdown - not sure whether to fly or not.

Another shutdown - not sure whether to fly or not.

Hearing that some air employees will strike if there is another shutdown due to safety concerns. Since flying scares the bejeezus out of me anyway, now I am thinking we might have to reschedule our trip. I feel like this country needs to revolt against our politicians. This is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Hearing that some air employees will strike if there is another shutdown due to safety concerns. Since flying scares the bejeezus out of me anyway, now I am thinking we might have to reschedule our trip. I feel like this country needs to revolt against our politicians. This is ridiculous.
    You arent that far away from your destination. So, drive.

I am worried too since we have to fly. I wonder if we would lose our cruise money because we didn’t book our airfare through the cruise line

There is supposed to be an agreement in breaking news just now. Hope that it helps both of you.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Watching the news now

It does appear that an agreement has tentatively been reached. Considering how desperately both sides want to avoid a shutdown I'm not surprised. But Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh haven't weighed in yet, so who knows what will happen.

Regarding what will happen with air travel if a shutdown occurs, it's a crapshoot. During the last shutdown my friends, judging from posts on facebook, seemed to have very mixed experiences. Some airports had no issues. Others seemed to have bigger problems. Personally I flew twice during the shutdown, including on the day that it ended. My experience, at SFO earlier that week and at Long Beach the day the shutdown ended, was fine. But Long Beach never has long lines at security. With only 11 gates and not an insane amount of flights one security line is more than enough for them on a typical day. I had changed my flight that day to depart from Long Beach instead of LAX out of concern for lines but two friends happened to also be flying out of LAX that afternoon and both experienced no problems with security lines.

The Green New Deal will phase out air travel soon enough, maybe it's time to start weaning ourselves off it in preparation.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    The Green New Deal will phase out air travel soon enough, maybe it's time to start weaning ourselves off it in preparation.
    Good point, although the plan is not that we should all stay home, it's that we should have high speed rail to replace a lot of trips that currently happen on planes. Personally I'd much rather take a fast train from san francisco to LA than a plane. Back when I lived in NYC I had to go to Boston and DC for work several times a year. Some coworkers thought it odd that I would take the train, but time-wise and cost-wise it made sense.

Williamsmith
    Wouldnt it make more sense to just ban commuting for employment more than say ten miles in one direction given that the planet is in crisis mode from carbon emissions. And a complete ban on travel for vacationing and leisure must be a common sense action that you would embrace. All jet airliners shuttered, power plants shutdown, and moo cows slaughtered could bring us back from the brink. No? Don’t you have the least bit of guilt for jetting around endlessly and ruining the climate for me?

We took high speed trains in Europe 14 years ago and they were awesome

Thread Information