Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Another shutdown - not sure whether to fly or not.

Williamsmith
    You can’t say we aren’t making progress. A bit more than a century and a half ago we would have just had black slaves build a wall for us at no cost. Politics seemed simpler back then. If you disagreed you just took up arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    You can’t say we aren’t making progress. A bit more than a century and a half ago we would have just had black slaves build a wall for us at no cost. Politics seemed simpler back then. If you disagreed you just took up arms.
    A bit more than a century and a half ago, a wall would have impeded our invasion of Mexico.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Some politician was saying planes could run on biodeisel. But of course it takes energy to make the biodesiel fuel.

I will I’ll say I have seen a lot of prices rising in stores. If we all,bought less stuff that was trucked, flown or shipped around the world, plus the energy used in manufacturing, energy use would decrease. Plus less stuff for landfills.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I know you are being sarcastic of late but seriously, you need to think about what you write here. Why are you talking about an "us" that enslaves black people? My us includes the people you are talking about in this manner. I am not cool with this, sarcasm or not.
    I apologize for having tangentially offended you. Even though my context was clearly historical and clearly not directed at you. Ill join the ranks of properly chastised and enjoy a voluntary exile.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Ill join the ranks of properly chastised …....
    Welcome to the club, all the cool kids end up here eventually.
    Last edited by Alan; 2-13-19 at 7:27pm.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Not sure who's right here but it's interesting that depending on the context some people get offended at being accused of being responsible for the actions of their ancestral dead white relatives who most likely weren't even slave owners but then casually toss out the idea that "black slaves would've done the job" seemingly acknowledging that even non-slave-owners benefited from slavery by virtue of being white. And in another thread bae points out that it's very easy to slip into the role of "rent collector" when one views oneself as part of the masses oppressed by capitalism.

Perhaps most people are just masses of contradictions.

Williamsmith, I actually deleted my comment prior to your posting, as I had no desire to make you feel bad. So I don't know why you posted a reply to a comment that I took off for the sake of keeping peace. If you want to be voluntarily exiled, that is on you, not me. My point was your use of the word "us" to define an America that excluded black people.

"We" are all of us; "we" is not white people. That is what I was trying to say.

Okay, due to Alan and Catherine's assessment of my post to Williamsmith, I am formally apologizing to Williamsmith. I was wrong to say anything in response to your posts, which as you point out, was made in jest, in a historical context, and I chose to find it offensive to my friends and family members.
    Please do not voluntarily exile yourself from this community, as you mean a great deal to it.

My original post seems to have violated the community terms of discourse. I removed it ten minutes after I wrote it for fear that I would hurt you or make you uncomfortable.

Please return, Williamsmith, as you mean too much to this community to absent yourself.

Thread Information