Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another shutdown - not sure whether to fly or not.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We took high speed trains in Europe 14 years ago and they were awesome
    The cost of building a high speed rail from NYC to LA is estimated to cost about 48 Billion. I guess my question is, why do you have to go so fast? I mean isn’t the health of the planet worth slowing down for?

And I hate to be a downer but high speed trains would only be an improvement if they were fueled by renewable resources. And, this will hurt even more......you can’t get to Europe by train. You will have to take a really slow boat. No airplanes, sorry.

Each European country is small like a state so it makes sense for close countries or neighboring countries.

How are these high speed trains going to do serving the non-coastal parts of the county?

The USA is sort of big, and some folks don't live in megacities lined up along the coast. I wouldn't mind still being able to fly to the Midwest now-and-then to visit relatives.

Yppej
    Tax breaks should be offered to companies that let employees work from home. The money could come from taking away subsidies to the fossil fuel industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    The cost of building a high speed rail from NYC to LA is estimated to cost about 48 Billion. I guess my question is, why do you have to go so fast? I mean isn’t the health of the planet worth slowing down for?

And I hate to be a downer but high speed trains would only be an improvement if they were fueled by renewable resources. And, this will hurt even more......you can’t get to Europe by train. You will have to take a really slow boat. No airplanes, sorry.
    Perspective. And you too bae...

https://www.vox.com/2019/2/8/1821577...ain-air-travel

I take slow rail over flying at least if just going hey to San Francisco (believe me I've done it - it's slow rail and then a bus). I do worry about how fast rail will use more energy than slow rail.

I'm not in a hurry, yes it's worth it to change some habits (and why wouldn't it be, no we can't all change all our habits perhaps, but many of them if we dig down deep enough, and why not?). I don't need to be lectured on not flying, I haven't flown in about a decade, might I fly once or twice more in my life, oh sure it in certain circumstances, but as a general habit. No.

BTW if the concern is trains not going places one really should pay attention to the history of Amtrak. They have had to shut down a lot of train routes over time. Government spending decisions. Yea pretty stupid this happened.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Passenger rail in this country is very poor. You pull over and sit and wait literally hours for all the freight trains to go through. It is 7 hours to NYC where I live vs 4 driving. And it's not cheap. You can pay the outrageous Manhattan parking rates and still come out ahead if two or more people are traveling together for a day trip. The train only goes once per day certain days of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Wouldnt it make more sense to just ban commuting for employment more than say ten miles in one direction given that the planet is in crisis mode from carbon emissions. And a complete ban on travel for vacationing and leisure must be a common sense action that you would embrace. All jet airliners shuttered, power plants shutdown, and moo cows slaughtered could bring us back from the brink. No? Don’t you have the least bit of guilt for jetting around endlessly and ruining the climate for me?
    I work in surgery. Cannot telecommute for that.

Fly. We cannot put a hold on life because idiots will not negotiate. You could be waiting forever more...........

Williamsmith
    I am astounded by all these comments. I expect that people who are so dogmatic about the threat of climate change....would be willing to give up their activities that accelerate this impending catastrophe. Well, then government will have to step in and help you give them up.

Thread Information