Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Denver teachers strike

Alan: That sounds like how I describe the Catholic church.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I like that analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    They do have similar business models.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I have kept up with the news and from what I've seen there has been no mention of an average salary, not to mention some estimate of generous benefits value that are uncommon in the private sector. In the days when I was in closer touch with teacher acquaintances a lot of them had fun summer jobs to supplement income during their long summer vacation. Denver housing has become expensive and there are a lot of people with middle class incomes that have financial challenges, but not the ability to go out on strike. So, I'm unconvinced of the plight of teachers, but maybe so.

It really varies by state. I was shocked at how much money teachers in Minnesota make and how little here. Teaching is a much harder job now due to big class sizes, undisciplined kids and parents that don’t support the teachers among other issues.

I was a bit shocked when we moved to CO that many of my retired neighbors had been teachers. Nice homes, multiple vehicles, vacations, etc. I am guessing the state retirement benefits are better than most.

Does anyone seriously think that teachers are making great salaries? Check out this state-by-state list of starting salaries and average salaries. For a professional with a bachelor's degree.
    https://www.teacherportal.com/teache...ries-by-state/

In Arizona we're basically tied with Mississippi for lowest of all 50 states. And before anyone mentions the lower cost of living here, that's another ship that has recently sailed: due mainly to the jump in housing costs, we are now at a higher cost of living vs. wages.
    Arizona currently has so many vacancies that the legislature had to lower the requirements to be a classroom teacher.

Charter schools as an answer? Their promises of better education outcomes hasn't panned out so far - a few charter schools here and there will outperform the local district school, but it's not a statistical given. And think about the math: if a charter school has to show a profit to answer to shareholders, they'll have to offer even less pay then what a public school is paying.

Reminds me of the Catholic school system that was so strong in the 1940s - 1970s - Why? Because the nuns worked basically for communal housing and a tiny stipend.

The Denver Public School System website listed a starting salary of $43,000/yr. with a basic bachelors degree and just basic certifications.

From salary dot com,

The average Public School Teacher salary in Denver, CO is $57,109 as of January 31, 2019, but the range typically falls between $49,854 and $65,930. Salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including level of education
    , certifications, additional skills, years in your profession.

Not bad pay for 9 months and retire at 50.

Someone on Mr. MM said she was making 91k/year teaching in Minneapolis.

Thread Information