Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Denver teachers strike

Denver teachers strike

This is really huge. Teachers actually walked out yesterday leaving schools with subs and administrators only. One high school ended up having a dance in the hallway and then most of the kids walked out when the school wasnt prepared with enough schedules for the adapted school day. A law firm is bringing a lawsuit on behalf of disabled students saying the district is not providing for their needs. I cant imagine how a group of subs would actually handle a classroom without a lot of support (as a former sub myself). Just the basic medical training and delegations that a large number of teachers need would not be replaceable. If there had been a large strike when my children were in school I could not have sent them for medical reasons.

Some of the information shows top heavy funding with a large percentage of funds going to higher paid administrators. I also noted that it seems they all get good reviews. The percentage of administrators is way off compared to other districts in the state, which leads to lots of grand plans and initiatives being passed down without as much basic understanding of how much is already being done. At least that was my experience shared by many of my colleagues.

I got a red shirt to support but could only find a basic one in the mens department and i am not sure it is going to fit.

Here our schools aren’t very good and teachers make crap wages. Administration is paid a ton and we are definitely top heavy.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    We had our moment in the sun last year with publicity regarding the teacher walkout in Arizona - something that should have happened much sooner. Better late than never for teachers to take a stand. I'm wishing the striking teachers in Denver the best - I don't know the specific issues involved.....all I know about Denver is that it is scary expensive to live there but the climate in Summer is much nicer than in Phoenix - I was there in August of 2016 for a few days and it was actually only 69F on one of those days...pure heaven as it was 109F and muggy the same day in Phoenix.

But I digress. Educators play an important role in a civilized society, so I see it, and are coming up short on salary and respect. Rob

ZG, I thought of you when I heard about the strike on the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I got a red shirt to support but could only find a basic one in the mens department and i am not sure it is going to fit.
    Caution if you get a star trek red shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Caution if you get a star trek red shirt!
    OMG you understand my fear!

Here is my funny story about meeting the former superintendent. We were at some event to build connections across departments, like small groups with everyone from facilities to cafeteria to teachers, etc. They had the 'cheerleaders' wearing red shirts, they cam around with a microphone if you wanted to share in the larger groups. The presenters kept on saying to call a red shirt. Well of course I was looking for the alien life form behind my colleagues to take them out.

The superintendent was standing off to the side so in my one chance to speak to him I expressed my fear that the red shirts were not going to last the day.

Maybe these social skills explain my career path,

Could be worse. In my high school days, our swim team got new white uniforms. Several events were forfeited after the swimmers were wearing swimsuits from home. The white ones went translucent when wet.

Williamsmith
    School choice. Problem solved.

I know several administrators who retired with 100% of their salary. All the school teachers in my community have a winter home in Florida, Texas or Aruba. I watch their condos for them. Meanwhile lots of taxpayers in the district are huddled around kerosene heaters in their trailers for the winter. Where is the Democratic Party when the poor need them?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Where is the Democratic Party when the poor need them?
    The Democratic Party has a vested interest in high rates of poverty, without which it couldn't exist.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    The Democratic Party has a vested interest in high rates of poverty, without which it couldn't exist.
    Let's get rid of it; other countries have, for the most part, and still have progressive parties. You righties are such cynics.

Thread Information