Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Email groups: need tech help

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    How old is your Mac? I have a Mac Air 2015 Sierra, and I can do what Steve said--form a group in Contacts and then use it in my emails.
    Sheepishly, I will admit that I bought this Mac in fall 2017. I think it is a MAC pro.
    Havent used it. Our HP Piece of Sh*t was acting up as it has been for years (still is slow as hell) but I cannot face moving all of the files. Ugh.
    So yeah, my MAC is recent.

probably Apple should just take it away from me, haha. I love my simple little intuitive IPADS even tho one of them last week surprised me by ringing, and there was a voice at the other end, and I carried on a conversation on this iPad tablet and I do not understand how that happened.

Ok, but looking into Contacts on the IPAD—yes I can form a group but that still requires comma delimited data with exactly correct punctuation. That isnt much better, maybe one step better, that what I now do. Instructions on the web say drop email addresss i to the Notes field to create a group and separate each address with a comma.

I liked Outlook at my workplace where I could tag a name in my contact list and make it part of a group.I assumed all email programs were like that, but nope.

Steve and catherine, thanks for your help. i am still working on this problem and may ask for help later. I may end up doing the Excel export as Steve suggests.

IL, when I made my contact group lists on my Macbook Air, I set up the group name when I opened the contact list, highlighted the chosen names and holding down the button on the mouse moved each name over to the group contact list. It made a swoop sound and was added to the group.

I also make a point of email addressing the group name to BCC as a courtesy.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I also make a point of email addressing the group name to BCC as a courtesy.
    THIS.

I maintain a bunch of throwaway email addresses because people either don't know (or, more likely, don't care) that they are exposing many other people's email addresses to others, regardless of their computer hygiene or the lesser aspects of those other people.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I love my simple little intuitive IPADS even tho one of them last week surprised me by ringing, and there was a voice at the other end, and I carried on a conversation on this iPad tablet and I do not understand how that happened.
    DW does this. It has something to do with Handoff and allowing calls to her iPhone "ringing" all of her iOS devices. Surprises even me whenever it happens.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

That is interesting, but I do not want to give these members an option of unsubscribing without me knowing. These are member groups they have agreed to be part of. If they want to drop out of the group they need to contact me directly and they know that. I also don’t want someone unsubscribing themselves mistakenly, and then complaining later, months later, that they never get any information.
    There is an option to be notified when someone unsubscribes. However, they are grown adults, hopefully... I mean someone needs to draw the line somewhere . And on the serious note, I know exactly what you mean, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    THIS.

I maintain a bunch of throwaway email addresses because people either don't know (or, more likely, don't care) that they are exposing many other people's email addresses to others, regardless of their computer hygiene or the lesser aspects of those other people.
    I have been doing this recently after we all were chatized by garden club central about using TO.

Here is an update:

While I have not created email groups yet and I am feeling very stupid that it seems to be easy in IOS yet I don’t see the obvious way to do it, I did have a success along the lines of what Steve suggested.

For one of the groups I herd, I have an Excel spreadsheet with all of their contact information. Their email addresses are in one column. So I just copied and pasted that column, and dropped data into the “To” prompt of my email program. That works beautifully.

Since this is so sweet, I probably will not have to maintain a separate MS Word document of their email addresses. That is a major step forward.

Here is an update
    Sometimes simple is good enough. Glad that's working for you, IL!

Thread Information