Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In the words of Rodney King...

I often refer to my “online friends” and their experiences. DH calls you all my “little friends” because, I dont know, he wants to belittle my online experience? But screw him, I dont care!

Here is one majorly good thing about online community: You all can physically move away from where you currently live and still stay in our community here.

Our closest friend is moving to New Hampshire in two days and that is the end of an era for us because with her move, all of our close friends will be gone from our neighborhood. And sure we have lots of acquaintances and semi-close friends, but the loss of 10+ people over the past few years is a big hole in our social life. And while I remain busy busy busy with garden club stuff, I haven’t formed close friendships and probably will not because all of the people I like live too far away.

Luckily all my friends love it here so haven’t lost any. When I broke my wrist someone different came every night to help me even though they all still work.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Luckily all my friends love it here so haven’t lost any. When I broke my wrist someone different came every night to help me even though they all still work.
    We have lost friends to the retirement stage of life. They have spread all over the country, so it isnt necessarily weather that motivates their move.

The tall old houses here are not conducive to aging in place.

I still marvel at how EASY it is to live in our Hermann house with bedrooms on mainfloor, but
    I will admit that part of that ease is no real “stuff “ to have to clean and move around regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

I still marvel at how EASY it is to live in our Hermann house with bedrooms on mainfloor, but
    I will admit that part of that ease is no real “stuff “ to have to clean and move around regularly.
    We've found exactly the same in Grand Isle. I thought a small house might come with problems, but the one-floor living is great. Very easy. And I get what you're saying about no stuff: my big fear is we sell our house in NJ and clutter up the VT house.

Regarding friends, I've found quitting jobs has always meant losing friends. I really like many of the people I've worked with, and since I travel a lot, I've spent a lot of time with work friends in restaurants, on trains and planes, etc. I've really, really enjoyed their company, but as soon as they've moved on or I've moved on, the friendships have been over.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I was just thinking how hard 2-story living is--always needing to transport things here and there, up and down. I long for an uncomplicated flat. I need to get out of here, but it seems like an impossibility.

Most humans take everything very personally and are easily offended. It is one of those things that should improve as you age. About finding new friends...I am working on it here - gardening club, book club, art lessons. I've noticed that the women I have met here are in general are "snipey/judgemental" than down south so it seems easier to make new friends. Or maybe it is that when you get older, you aren't feeling the need to compare anymore, ie weight, looks, house etc. It is refreshing and one of the things I have liked about moving here.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I was just thinking how hard 2-story living is--always needing to transport things here and there, up and down. I long for an uncomplicated flat. I need to get out of here, but it seems like an impossibility.
    I like the exercise of the stairs, especially on the winter when I do not want to walk outdoors.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I still miss seeing posts from Ultralight.
    I had no idea since I blocked him months ago. Apparently I'm not the only person he tangled with. If someone wants to leave in a huff it doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I like the exercise of the stairs, especially on the winter when I do not want to walk outdoors.
    The exercise part was OK a few years ago, but the hassle of moving random stuff from place to place always was annoying. I am more than ready for a one story place.

so true about stairs. I find myself saying multiple times a day "now where did I leave my glasses/shoes? Which floor? Up down...up down.

Thread Information