Thread: Question for teachers about social security

Question for teachers about social security

for those of you who are public school teachers and in a state where you have money taken out of your social security because of having a pension in that state, does that apply to substitute teachers too? What about classroom aides and administrators?

I know if Illinois and Maine teachers have their social security reduced because they are teachers.

We are looking at Maine and I wonder about this if you are new to system and have no time in Maine pension system and are a couple of years away from social security. I can't afford to give up my social security as it is already minimal.

If you work under the teachers retirement system, your social security benefit is reduced by one third to one half, even if you only work a single day. It’s called the Windfall Provision Act of IRS, you can look it up on line.

if you want to teach, I’d suggest a true private school- not a charter school, as they are funded through the public school system and participate in the retirement system too.

As for subs and aides, you will have to check district by district.

Good for you for knowing to ask ahead of time.

I lost 60% of my SS due to WEP.

Oh my goodness. One day. That sucks, seriously. 60%. That is horrible.

I have always taught at the college level but got certified in Florida. Will not be teaching in Maine, I guess.

Tybee, did you pay into a retirement system when teaching at the college level?

Only in sc

Here is one of the best explanations of the issue we are discussing. Really helps to understand the why and how before making any life decisions. https://socialsecurityintelligence.c...ion-provision/

Thank you so much, Sweetana! I have always paid social security at my teaching jobs, so it looks like this will not apply on my SC job.
    If I teach in Maine, I will look into private schools only.
    So glad I asked, thank you all!

Thread Information