Thread: craft fair idea

craft fair idea

I would really like to do some craft fairs, however selling crochet items does NOT pay. I sell things that I like to make, and I price competitively to support all the other artists as well as myself. I have been writing some patterns for my class. I offer them to students but other than that I would need to charge. So how to do a little better than break even! So my idea that I shared with one friend was to sell packages of a pattern and the yarn to make it. I am thinking about the projects that use less than a skein of varied colors. So the mini potholder patterns (square and round) and the slouchy hat, maybe the curly scarf.

Open to feedback,...

I feel like selling the kits - even though you write the patterns - is a little out of the craft fair wheelhouse. OTOH, if you sold the kits at a mark-up that was about what the finished product was worth minus your time, and you also sold the same item as a finished product - I feel like people might try making one and then decide to just come back and buy one already made.

i also see no problem with requiring your students to buy your kit or pattern for the class, depending on what you charge for the class. At least offering the kit seems good.

Thank you CL, my responses keep glitching out. I think my slouchy hats would be great for selling next to a kit, and the twirly scarf.

I had a great class last Sunday. The student really caught on to how you could adapt things from the core forms. The other student never showed up, so that was disappointing. I want to promote more of my classes because I will make some money at the 3rd student and beyond. This is hard work, the teaching is easy

Meanwhile working on maker faire trees

There are kits on Etsy $13-$84 at quick glance. I like the one for wrap sleeves for flower pots ($40). Houseplants are super popular again but having a neutral tone fiber sleeve for the pot is so Instagram worthy! (ha)
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

In Joyful, the author discusses fiber-bombing, the semi-subversive practice of covering mundane--usually public--articles and surfaces with yarn. There are books on it.

Zoe girl, I like that. I can visualize the display...

Trees? I am intrigued!

Here’s a link to pics just a few blocks from my house

http://www.grandavenueartsandpreserv...uefestival2016

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    In Joyful, the author discusses fiber-bombing, the semi-subversive practice of covering mundane--usually public--articles and surfaces with yarn. There are books on it.
    We have that all over my city. It is kind of passe now, actually. But A nearby neighborhood does have Some awful giant cement balls used as traffic calming devices, and people have fabric bombed them so that was funny

Thread Information