Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: National emergency

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Three months ago the Democrats did not have control of the purse strings and there was no rush to get it done. Once they took control they made it clear that they would not allocate one dollar for border walls and it became clear that the Democratic base demanded their representatives resist at every turn.

It's happening now because if no amount of negotiation gets the job done, brute force tactics are the only recourse.
    why wasn’t it a rush then? What has changed? Perhaps because he could not get the wall money through republican control? That Mexico was going to pay for remember.

it took over two years to declare an emergency, such an emergency he’s off to a weekend golfing while taxpayers rent golf carts from his course for his protection...so much winning.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    why wasn’t it a rush then? What has changed? Perhaps because he could not get the wall money through republican control? That Mexico was going to pay for remember.

it took over two years to declare an emergency, such an emergency he’s off to a weekend golfing while taxpayers rent golf carts from his course for his protection...so much winning.
    I think timing is everything in politics which is now a head-to-head conflict that requires absolute winners and losers and no namby pamby everyone wins solutions. Both sides are ginning up their impressionable bases for 2020.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I think climate change, ecosystem collapse, ocean acidification, the 6th great extinction, and insect die off might be natural emergencies. Oh well what do I know ...

I favor immigration restrictions too, just in the scheme of things, and how ridiculous Trump's solution is (why not enforce it against employers?)... please.
    Not long ago the Pentagon issued a report calling climate change an immediate threat to national security. That holds a lot more water than Ts inaccurate rambling over border security. The report will make for good ammunition if the right person gets into office and T has lead the precedent for invoking emergency finds for such.

https://climateandsecurity.files.wor...ate_to_dod.pdf

Illegitimate border crossings are at their lowest in 45-50 years. There is absolutely no reason for a wall except as a sop to Trump's racist base. There are plenty of real emergencies we could be dealing with.

and he could have had the whole $25b a year ago but he’s such a sad pathetic negotiator that he wasnt willing to guve up anything in return.

The thing to keep in mind is that the courts will most likely rule against him. And secondly, if not, once we have president warren or whoever we’ll be one school shooting away from having a guns national emergency.

And this is how a constitution dies. Woohoo.

Someone needs to buy the president (and Alan) a dictionary.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/emergency

: an unforeseen combination of circumstances or the resulting state that calls for immediate action

Our current situation at the border is neither unforseen nor requiring immediate action.

"And this is how a constitution dies. Woohoo."

Trump doesn't even bother to conceal that he itches to be a dictator. What I really find appalling is that Republicans are apparently perfectly happy to let him. I thought W was joking when he remarked that his job would be easier if he were a dictator, but looking back from this vantage point, I'm not so sure.

Peter Alexander‏ sums it up pretty well with this tweet...

@PeterAlexander 5h5 hours ago
    Trump, responding to my question, concedes there’s no national emergency to justify building his wall: “I didn’t need to do this... I just want to do it faster.” That answer will complicate his legal case.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Peter Alexander‏ sums it up pretty well with this tweet...

@PeterAlexander 5h5 hours ago
    Trump, responding to my question, concedes there’s no national emergency to justify building his wall: “I didn’t need to do this... I just want to do it faster.” That answer will complicate his legal case.
    Apparently he wants it done before he goes to prison...

I agree that we have more pressing national emergencies.......like the gun problem. Oh, I forgot......we don't have a gun problem.
    Or how about the planet emergency of the Environment?
    So many emergencies.......so little sense.

Thread Information