Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: National emergency

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I went home early today, getting a ride from one of the other supervisors, because I was sick and vomiting at work. Woke up very tired and nauseous and shouldn't have gone to work, but then I never expect anyone to believe me if I call in sick, so I go to work sick and hope for the best. Anyway, I was home early today. Since I have been working so much, I've somewhat neglected my responsibility to the neighborhood so I spoke to a few people I haven't spoken to since before Christmas. The big topic in the 85006 of course today is the Wall and the National State of Emergency BS. I can tell you from what I'm hearing, not only am I against the wall, and the Emergency Declaration, too, but so is the 85006. We seem to be joined by many others nationwide, which is an inspiring thing to see.

For my part, I would once again agree that there are issues at the US/Mexico border but they are of a type that a wall is not an answer to. My take is that drugs, especially narcotics such as fentanyl are getting across in produce (and other) vehicles. Why not invest in more US CBP agents, maybe build an extra lane or two into the US, get more drug sniffing dogs, do whatever can be done to further inspect more vehicles/persons entering the US within a reasonable amount of time. I do not see a crisis at the border in the sense of an "alien invasion" - nope, not at all. Rob

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think timing is everything in politics which is now a head-to-head conflict that requires absolute winners and losers and no namby pamby everyone wins solutions. Both sides are ginning up their impressionable bases for 2020.
    So Trump specifically did this just to try to be able to say to his cult “see, I tried everything I could but those democrats want drugs, guns and rapists pouring in”.

It’s not about the wall then (although it does serve the purpose of keeping non whites out). It is about scoring points, keeping his base fearful, appeasing his base etc.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    So Trump specifically did this just to try to be able to say to his cult “see, I tried everything I could but those democrats want drugs, guns and rapists pouring in”.

It’s not about the wall then (although it does serve the purpose of keeping non whites out). It is about scoring points, keeping his base fearful, appeasing his base etc.
    I think so, although it works both ways. The Democrats are doing the same thing, plus keeping the racist angle going. See you've even fallen for it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Someone needs to buy the president (and Alan) a dictionary.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/emergency

: an unforeseen combination of circumstances or the resulting state that calls for immediate action

Our current situation at the border is neither unforseen nor requiring immediate action.
    Where did you get your law degree and why are you using an English dictionary, instead of a legalese dictionary? English and legalese are very different things and more often then non legal speaking people would like.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Where did you get your law degree and why are you using an English dictionary, instead of a legalese dictionary? English and legalese are very different things and more often then non legal speaking people would like.
    Admittedly i’m not a lawyer. As an insurance guy my only experience with legalish wording is that in an insurance policy if a word is in bold or italics that means ‘watch out, someone’s made up a definition for it.’ Perhaps i missed it but it’s possible that trump put ‘national emergency’ in bold and made up some random definition to fit the situation.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I think so, although it works both ways. The Democrats are doing the same thing, plus keeping the racist angle going. See you've even fallen for it.
    you are wrong on this one. There has always been lots of game playing by all parties. However much of it has had the collateral damage as also benefitting the country. Not just enriching the game players to make them and their cronies wealthier. Watching smug smiles with puffed out chests at times lying outright is disturbing.

Maybe be we all need to stop believing the lies. The famous Obama “ if you like your insurance you can keep it” did not work out for a small amount of people. So some call it a lie. Was it said to deceive people? Questionable. Very different than I will build a big beautiful concrete wall from sea to sea and Mexico will pay for it. And the chants “lick her up”. And promising to appoint a special prosecutor to jail her. Is she a crook? They haven’t found any evidence yet. But the flock of felons surrounding Trump haven’t shown the best of judgement to say the least.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    And the chants “lick her up”.
    Hillary Clinton as sex object?

It's not the dems keeping the racist angle going. The racists have that under control all on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    It's not the dems keeping the racist angle going. The racists have that under control all on their own.
    Trump has been a vocal racist his whole life--probably learned it at his father's knee. He still thinks the Central Park Five should be punished, despite the DNA evidence clearing them--even took out four full-page ads railing about their release. And look who he surrounds himself with--Steve Bannon, Jeff Sessions, and Stephen Miller (the vilest of the vile), all of whom are known, on-the-record bigots). Oh yeah--make no mistake, the president who turned his back on Puerto Rico, called majority black nations "shithole countries," publicly mused that we need more immigrants from white countries like Norway (bet the Norwegians had a good laugh about that), and continues to characterize hard-working immigrants (legal or not) and asylum seekers as rapists and thugs, is most certainly a racist.

Thread Information