Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dating in small communities...

That was interesting but sounds like a terrible way to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    That was interesting but sounds like a terrible way to live.
    Ah, it was a jokey piece. Though probably had some truths.

I lived in a small town of 2k people once and everyone knew your business.

Enjoyed the writer's sense of humor. Have to laugh at the crazy dating world sometimes.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I remember attempting to date while I was working at the Grand Canyon National Park. Talk about a fishbowl where everyone knows your business! Every isolated resort that I've ever worked at has been this way......everyone knows your business and if you deviate a fraction of a centimeter from what the group considers a norm, to some degree there's a target on your back unless you know the right people and are in good politically with said right people. I find urban life in general to be very exhausting but this is one aspect of small town living that completely drains me. And then some.

Perhaps a few here may remember my posting not too long ago of some neighbors of mine in the 85006 that moved to Nogales, Arizona, hoping for a litigation windfall from over the top law breaking "law enforcement" there? I've kept in touch with them and they tell me Nogales, Arizona is like this, too - and it's a fairly sized city of 23,000 or so - they say that while it's possible to be a recluse there if you wish, doing so increases suspicion of you, including with law enforcement that has a "Why are you living in Southern Arizona this close to Mexico? mentality - you're already viewed with suspicion for living in the Borderlands and being a recluse to avoid this increases the air of suspicion around you, even if you never cross the border. People - UGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! - there are many days as I am getting older that I just feel like I've had my fill of human nature and that a good chunk of my life is negotiating human nature already anyway.

All that said, had I a realistic choice at the moment, I'm all for living somewhere like Nogales, Arizona, even with no windfall from litigation against law enforcement. I am not a good fit for modern American urban life, period, though I do do that best I can with it. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Perhaps a few here may remember my posting not too long ago of some neighbors of mine in the 85006 that moved to Nogales, Arizona, hoping for a litigation windfall from over the top law breaking "law enforcement" there? I've kept in touch with them and they tell me Nogales, Arizona is like this, too - and it's a fairly sized city of 23,000 or so - they say that while it's possible to be a recluse there if you wish, doing so increases suspicion of you, including with law enforcement that has a "Why are you living in Southern Arizona this close to Mexico? mentality - you're already viewed with suspicion for living in the Borderlands and being a recluse to avoid this increases the air of suspicion around you, even if you never cross the border. People - UGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! -
    I remember that. You'd think that by now they could have at least initiated a prospective windfall from over the top law enforcement in an environment so ideally suited for it. What could they possibly be doing wrong?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I guess in some ways that small town outlook can be had in large cities. I am referring to Gordon Lightfoot's song The Circle is Small where he says:

"The town we live in might be quite large, but the circle is small,
    Why not tell us all,
    Then all of us will know."

I live in a town of around 3000 and yes it does lead to others knowing your business at times. But on the other hand, it also can lead to help and support when needed because people do know you. I guess it is a trade off of sorts. I think it is better than years ago when you did know almost everyone. I sometimes walk down the street and realize I know almost no one anymore, and we also have quite as Hispanic population that have moved here over the past 10-12 years.

Sorry for the disjointed post - it is morning.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I remember that. You'd think that by now they could have at least initiated a prospective windfall from over the top law enforcement in an environment so ideally suited for it. What could they possibly be doing wrong?
    They are being recluses. If they go out and protest they can become targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Eyed Lady View Post
    I guess in some ways that small town outlook can be had in large cities. I am referring to Gordon Lightfoot's song The Circle is Small where he says:

"The town we live in might be quite large, but the circle is small,
    Why not tell us all,
    Then all of us will know."

I live in a town of around 3000 and yes it does lead to others knowing your business at times. But on the other hand, it also can lead to help and support when needed because people do know you. I guess it is a trade off of sorts. I think it is better than years ago when you did know almost everyone. I sometimes walk down the street and realize I know almost no one anymore, and we also have quite as Hispanic population that have moved here over the past 10-12 years.

Sorry for the disjointed post - it is morning.
    I noticed I misquoted Gordon Lightfoot! "The CITY we live in might be quite large" NOT the town! I warned you it was morning!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    They are being recluses. If they go out and protest they can become targets.
    That can't be right. Rob has told us several times they moved there with the express purpose of winning a large settlement from the inevitable abuse from law enforcement. They'll never realize their dream being recluses. I think there must be some other flaw in the plan.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information