Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dating in small communities...

Dating in small communities...

I just came across a radio interview of a couple of friends of mine here on the island, about the challenges of "romance" in these sorts of isolated places.

https://www.knkx.org/post/think-dati...-try-it-island

Are any of these voices yours Bae?

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Are any of these voices yours Bae?
    No, until quite recently I usually only went into the Lower Tavern responding to 911 calls there :-)

That is interesting. Often in small towns everyone knows what everyone else is doing. I am noticing that especially with seniors who pair up with a new partner, everyone takes note. There is usually understanding and appreciation that some need to have a full-time partner, also some eyebrow raising with how 'those two' will ever get along or what do the kids think of what is happening and life goes on. I stay out of senior centres, senior condos for just that reason and now understand a little better the challenge of living on an island.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I lived in a very small town in New York State when I just had two kids. There was one general store, one gas station and a diner. One of the town families owned the general store, and if you didn't want your business circulating like the game of "telephone" you had to whisper in the store. I had neighbors I barely knew tell me how many kids they had heard I wanted to have. (I had no clue).

I feel a tinge of that in Grand Isle, but it's nowhere as bad. However, I have one son who is between relationships, and he's dying for a partner. He feels the "city" he lives and works in is tapped out in that department, so he said he's thinking of spending the summer on the island with us. I assured him that that was NOT a good idea if he's trying to find someone to date, for some of the same reasons talked about in the interview.

There are advantages to small town life, but when you really want or need a little anonymity, the lack of it can be a big disadvantage.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I grew up in a tiny coastal burg (pop.350) that I was happy to get away from; although it had loads of natural beauty to appreciate, there was nothing else for people to do but gossip and meddle in other people's lives. Gossip would be a minor annoyance now, but I avoid the shriveled outlook that produces it.

A fun little piece a friend wrote the other day:

https://evanwl.com/2019/04/08/life-o...ion-17-dating/

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    A fun little piece a friend wrote the other day:

https://evanwl.com/2019/04/08/life-o...ion-17-dating/
    Very well done!

Funny!

Amusing piece, it made me laugh.

Thread Information