Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shortcuts and quick meals

I don’t like rice, noodles, potatoes or veggies once frozen either. I tend to freeze things like a batch of spaghetti sauce or if I have made too much meat

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I don’t like rice, noodles, potatoes or veggies once frozen either. I tend to freeze things like a batch of spaghetti sauce or if I have made too much meat
    I'm with you on noodles and potatoes. They 'mush' to me. Except my lasagna. It freezes nicely.

Oh! I like the idea of rice noodles as a rice alternative!

has anyone tried freezing and reheating lentils/dal? They are a food component that tends to make things take longer around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    A long time ago I used to freeze soup, but I felt like the carrots and potatoes and such always ended up too soft after reheating.
    So if you know you're making a batch of soup to freeze, why not undercook the carrots and potatoes some so reheating finishes the job? It's not like you have to routinely heat vegetables to 140 degrees (or higher) to ensure food safety.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Tea
    I freeze cooked lentils all the time - they reheat just fine. I usually do a lentil soup, and sometimes the texture of the carrots is a little off after reheating, but I've never noticed any change in the lentils themselves.

Another meal I like to freeze is spiced blackbeans and barley, barley chosen because it freezes much better than rice IMO. I make it real thick - not like a soup. A small amount of cheese, some chopped fresh herbs, or a finely diced bell pepper sprinkled on top when serving can ad some extra variety to this meal.

Chili freezes great, and while making a really big batch of it from scratch is a "most of the day" chore, freezing it in meal-sized portions can yield several quick dinners later. I know it typically has meat, but meatless chili can be pretty good too.

Super stuffed twice baked potatoes. Initially this takes more than 30 minutes, but for the follow-up meals, it's just reheating. I will take a bag or two of potatoes, bake the whole bag, scoop out the potato and save the skins. Mash the potatoes and add literally anything you want into them - around here it is usually cheese, very small cut mixed veggies (usually frozen veggies thawed out and cut up), cooked ground turkey, garlic and other spices, etc. Put the mashed potato mixture back into the skins. Put the portion for dinner back into the oven to heat and put the remainder in dinner-portioned containers into the freezer. Reheating can be done via microwave or oven... personally, I prefer the oven. I've also done this same thing with sweet potatoes and I actually prefer them over the white potatoes but other family members like the white potatoes.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

What I do to avoid scarfing down every loose snack in the house right after I get home from work is to plan a snack that really should be part of my dinner. For example, some raw vegetables with hummus to dip them in. Or a limited number of crackers and cheese--say 3 or 4. If you have bread right when you get home or even while cooking dinner, you could cut down on the carbs you eat with dinner.

If that's too close to dinner for you, you could also try eating the snack late in the day at work, or even in the car on the way home.

I have found that having a planned, healthy snack waiting for me when I get home makes it easier for me to cook a healthy meal for dinner, so I thought I'd share this.

I do usually keep a piece of fruit or some nuts in my car for an”after school snack” but by the time I actually get home, I am hungry again. School gets out at 3:30 or 4:30, and I get home between 5 and after 7. (clean up, errands, and/or swimming) I usually have another snack if I swim. It’s more a “being in the kitchen surrounded by easy to consume food while tired and out of willpower” thing. But also hungry, because, I haven’t had dinner.

When I have no time and I hurry up I love to make ricotta cheese salad. I just cut the veggies and the ricotta cheese with round manoline slicer and within 5 minutes I have a great salad.

Thread Information