Thread: Consequences of National Emergency Declaration by The Thug Of Orange.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Consequences of National Emergency Declaration by The Thug Of Orange.....

What do you believe the consequences of this Emergency Declaration, if any, will/might be, just curious - to Trump himself, or to society? I'll go first.

As always, I have a very deep fear of Mexico retaliating by making it hard to US nationals to cross the border. Mexico is not stupid - at least not as stupid as many Americans think. Mexico knows that a sizable number of US citizens are wholly dependent on Mexico for affordable medical and dental care, as human life is not worth this in the United States to all citizens. (though to be fair, dental care is not socialized in any country that I am aware of).

My point is that any action restricting or making access to medical care and dental care for many desperate Americans may very well achieve a life long dream of mine: That that majority of American citizens see this country as it really is. Having so many people with very little if anything to lose take to the street, especially in this age of social media/having images spread across the entire world at faster than the speed of light - this is not going to bode America well.

I don't know that Mexico will do such but Lopez Obrador is far left and not of a mind to play nice with either Trump or the United States, and one cultural issue stands in the way. Most Hispanics, especially males, tend to have some pride (Whereas in my life experience, most Americans do not - it's been sold off long long long ago in the name of survival). I could actually see national pride as a reason for blocking access to affordable Mexican health care for those with US passports.

This is my primary fear of the Emergency Declaration, a declaration which further proves to me that human life is not worth much, if anything in the US. Reason here being that I seriously doubt any thought whatsoever was made by the Trump Regime as to the potential of US citizen deaths due to restriction or blockage of access to affordable Mexican health care. And should this blockage or restriction take place, not a soul in the Trump Administration will be held accountable for indirect murder for being at fault of antagonizing Mexico.

I see the potential for a lot of the truth of America to be very nakedly exposed to anyone with eyes and two or more functioning brain cells, and I don't believe such would be good for this country, at least not in the short term. You'd think the GOP would grasp this as they started the rush towards lower wages, lower benefits, pt jobs only and offshoring that began under Reagan. You'd think they'd grasp that it's not wise to mess with the safety valve (Mexico) from their insane greed....but I guess not. No real surprise there.

What's your take on potential consequences......it doesn't have to be about health care in Mexico, there are many, many, many other ways this question could be taken and I get that. Rob

I don’t think that Mexico will do that as I am sure they enjoy the revenue they make off of medical tourism. They also probably realize that the majority of Americans do not support the orange moron.

I see this scenario playing out in future administrations. E.g., in 2021 the Democratic president declares a national emergency on gun violence, and decides $5B will be needed. Cue the uproar from the Republicans about presidential overreach and unconstitutionality, although of course they never mentioned in 2019 when Trump did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I don’t think that Mexico will do that as I am sure they enjoy the revenue they make off of medical tourism. They also probably realize that the majority of Americans do not support the orange moron.
    I think you have a point there, TT. The last time I was in Nogales I kept apologizing for Donald Trump everywhere I went and one shopkeeper neutrally said to me - Please, it's OK about Trump. Do your shopping here, it's not about politics for us here right at the border. Translation: We are practical and want your US dollars. That one comment did give me some hope, as I said, I'm very worried about health care in Mexico being blocked to US citizens. Hopefully you are right, TT.......and I do hope Mexicans understand that not all Americans are on the same page with the Thug Of Orange. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I see this scenario playing out in future administrations. E.g., in 2021 the Democratic president declares a national emergency on gun violence, and decides $5B will be needed. Cue the uproar from the Republicans about presidential overreach and unconstitutionality, although of course they never mentioned in 2019 when Trump did it.
    As another issue, Lainey, I do find this a cause for concern - that Trump is now setting a precedent for how to get around Congress to have some large pet base pleasing project funded. Scary stuff, at least in my mind. Was America ever SUPPOSED to work this way? Rob

I see the whole scary fiasco of this presidency having the best possible outcome. It throws into stark relief the chasm between "I don't really care, do you?" and the rest of us. Mueller's probe, the demographic change in Congress, and the realization of "the woke" that this is serious should, i hope, set us off in a productive new direction. We'll have to fend off Russian meddling to make it work, but I'm apparently a cockeyed optimist, because I believe there's a better time ahead for us.

And no, Rob, we threw off one dictator, long ago. This is an aberration. I'll be happy to get back to a Congress who understands the value of working together, and a President who understands his place in the scheme of things.

I share Jane’s optimism, although probably for different reasons. I think history will regard the furor over the wall as a trivial matter, with both sides regarding it more in symbolic than practical terms. While I’m slightly more concerned about American bureaucrats than Russian internet trolls interfering in elections, I don’t think people like Comey or McCabe were really all that effective in influencing the outcome.

I would like to see an end to our long drift toward an imperial presidency that began in the thirties, although I don’t see that as a matter of demographics or wokedness. It will come through the old system of checks and balances rather than some new group with greater virtue and enforcement powers.

I believe that despite all the frothy performance art of our attention-seeking classes, we remain an essentially practical minded center-right country who will ultimately do the right thing.

Thread Information