Thread: Life Lesson: It's OK To Take Overtime, BUT.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Life Lesson: It's OK To Take Overtime, BUT.....

at least in my case, I need to leave a little bit of time for me. Even if it's just fifteen minutes every other day. In bed today feeling like death warmed over with cold symptoms and a temp of 102F. Have started taking garlic and am already feeling a little better and am breathing a little easier. One nice thing of living in a heavily Hispanic area is that many Hispanics have retained faith in (legal) herbs as medicine......I can likely ask my neighbors for some antibiotic tea and get a few teabags without having to go down to the store to get them myself.

And I'm digressing. My point is that I believe that some people can just work, work, work, work, and make that their identity/point of pride perhaps - I am not one of them. I need more balance in life than that, which is why I personally believe I'm in bed today. Will catch up online and on reading - I did manage to get a morning off last Saturday and I made it to the VSNA booksale at the state fairgrounds and I have a bunch of books to read.

When do you know it's time to take a breather? I seem to have this ability to ignore any signs my body gives me lol.......Rob

I never could just work to the exclusion of other things. I need balance. Your body is forcing you to slow down.

I was getting six weeks, two months? in vacation/individual days off by the time I retired. I took every last minute. I don't understand work, work, work. I've always felt employment was just an unpleasant obligation. A real calling would be different, of course, but I would think people would even need some time out from that, to recharge and avoid burnout.

So enjoy your forced exile ; I hope you get some regular time off soon.

If I get sick then yea I know I can't keep driving myself to do more. Not that I'm the worlds most ambitious anyway and true overtime is not allowed really but I always have 100 other non-work things going on. And I also feel that if I don't keep driving myself I won't survive.

Vacation days, hahaha, that's a funny one, tell me another one, no I have none of that. I literally postpone going to the doctor or getting a toilet fixed because contractors just lose money if they don't work (my coworker works overtime sometimes to bank time for such though, it's smart, but sometimes after even 8 hours of that grueling boredom I can bank no more - on a good day where the work is not as boring I could, but often it's real boring).
    Trees don't grow on money

When I'm overworked, I don't get sick--I get angry. I can tell when I'm out of balance--I want to kill everyone (just kidding). It's a subterranean rumbling that doesn't go away until I'm able to even my life out. Life is too short to be one-dimensional.

That being said, I have worked many, many long hours for long stretches. And now, even though I have more control over projects being self-employed, when I take on too much, I still get resentful. But the good thing about self-employment is when I do have slow times, I can do whatever I want. I don't have to find busywork or take up space in an office.

Take care of yourself, Rob! Look at the extra money you'll have.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information