Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is banking through your cell phone riskier than using your home computer?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    What does DH believe are the differences between banking apps and the extensive electronic data interconnections the bank uses to function?
    Direct banking: via Chrome (our preferred product)..not an app. When you load apps, you're putting your personal info directly into your phone and there it lives. When you direct bank via Chrome your phone holds no personal info.

I only do online banking or transactions with my other finance accounts on my iPad. My phone is android and my home computer is PC based and I don't trust those systems against hacking, although the odds are probably low.

Agreed - The device is not the important part - the software is where one is protected.

Phones are computers. Computers use apps too. And phones can go straight to the internet without an app.

Things have changed a lot in the last few years. A password protector like 1password and the Apple universe seem the most secure setup to me.

I will defer to the certified cybersecurity officer I live with.......YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Direct banking: via Chrome (our preferred product)..not an app. When you load apps, you're putting your personal info directly into your phone and there it lives. When you direct bank via Chrome your phone holds no personal info.
    Hmm. Cookies set by the bank Web site, cached pages, and a browser from a company notorious for not keeping user information private ... I don't see the difference myself. But since no one is paying me for my computer security knowledge, I'll defer. What I've been doing has worked for me so far.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I tried it once and I did do it in a more secure method then most. No possible persistent cookies, etc. Direct banking, from a bootable Linux distro (starts as a new install every time, via dvd), and would go through a VPN now.
    Rather just go to the bank once every couple weeks and mail my bills.

Meanwhile, in most cities and towns, ordinary citizens log onto their bank accounts on outdated phones with public Wi-Fi and type in a password of 1234#1234...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Meanwhile, in most cities and towns, ordinary citizens log onto their bank accounts on outdated phones with public Wi-Fi and type in a password of 1234#1234...

And ask those in the know, why they have problems, while not listening to the answer.

Thread Information