Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is banking through your cell phone riskier than using your home computer?

Finger print and code needed to open it

You can also remotely wipe your iphone in the event that you lose it. But make sure you have Find My IPhone turned on on it now. I don't believe you can wipe it remotely otherwise. (you also can't use find my iphone to, ahem, find your iphone if it's turned off.)

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    It is also more risky, due to the odds of leaving your phone somewhere, verses your home computer.

Can you get the transfer then uninstall the app?
    I'm amazed at the number of people I know who regularly lose their phones. I've never done that or left it somewhere.

I hate carrying a phone and the only way I dont lose it is to put it in my billfold.but then, it has no case so it wont fit in there with a case. Subject to dropping and breaking.

Perhaps I am paranoid but I'd ask an experienced security officer at a long established bank, credit union or mutual fund company before doing lots of transactions by phone. I think of myself as having alot of experience with banking but was scammed by people from overseas! It might not happen but there are some creative con artists out there. Today, I received a message that I had asked for a new password for

I may be a bit paranoid but I would ask an experienced security officer at a bank, credit union or mutual fund before doing much phone banking! Although I consider myself quite experienced with banking and managing money, I was scammed by people from overseas who claimed to be a major computer company. Fortunately, my bank called me to question my payment to the scammers and did not make the transfer! Nothing may happen to you but there is always the possibility.

An iPhone is just a tiny MacBook. As long as you are on your own secured WiFi network, there is no difference between them as far as security.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    An iPhone is just a tiny MacBook. As long as you are on your own secured WiFi network, there is no difference between them as far as security.
    Exactly. All of the insecure things people do on desktop and laptop computers -- using (or reusing) lousy passwords, not using two-factor authentication, opening and responding to phishing emails, not checking for malware (more of an issue on desktops/laptops than phones), using questionable Wi-Fi networks, etc. -- can be done on phones and "real" computers.

(As I probably say way too often) technology only amplifies what people would do anyway. Phishing and social engineering occurred long before we all had access to computers and the world's networks. Computers may speed things up but the threat always has existed.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Hubby is cybersecurity. His position: direct banking only. No apps.

He also has grave concerns about biological passcodes. If someone get's your fingerprint? They've got it for life. You cannot change it. And yes, it's been done. He is a firm believer in a 24 character password with illogical sequences of letters/numbers/characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Hubby is cybersecurity. His position: direct banking only. No apps.
    What does DH believe are the differences between banking apps and the extensive electronic data interconnections the bank uses to function?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

1Password is my security blanket

Thread Information