Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: do you ever feel bad for sleeping

do you ever feel bad for sleeping

like an extra long time? Last night I apparently slept over 10 hours. Also I have had over my baseline of 7 hours for over 2 weeks, sometimes 8 hours or more. Between medications and personality I have always done better sleeping longer, however it is drilled into my that it is too much. I was raised to get up by a certain time no matter what, and my work hours start very early many days. I guess it just feels weird to sleep that much without having something wrong.

I think your body takes what it needs. Many times working through the week leaves you sleep-deprived, and on the weekends, you just play catch-up. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Sleep is VERY important for restoring the body in many ways, so listen to your body and just go along with it!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    like an extra long time? Last night I apparently slept over 10 hours. Also I have had over my baseline of 7 hours for over 2 weeks, sometimes 8 hours or more. Between medications and personality I have always done better sleeping longer, however it is drilled into my that it is too much. I was raised to get up by a certain time no matter what, and my work hours start very early many days. I guess it just feels weird to sleep that much without having something wrong.
    Restorative sleep is not an indulgence. You're an adult now; you can turn off the voices in your head.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Restorative sleep is not an indulgence. You're an adult now; you can turn off the voices in your head.
    And to answer your question: no.

No, but ...

They say if you sleep later on weekends it throws off your sleep schedule and it will be harder to sleep at normal hours (whatever those are for you, I'm not an early bird and this job doesn't require me to be). I've found that to be true. So in the name of sleep hygiene, I generally don't try to sleep later on weekends and sometimes set the alarm. Occasionally I will sleep later.

Truthfully my body kind of wakes me up before then usually anyway, as I'm used to getting up at a certain time.
    Trees don't grow on money

No

Never.

No. I usually sleep 7 hours going to bed at 10pm and waking around 5am without an alarm. About once a month, I won't wake til after 6 or later. I suppose I considered that just normal extra sleep that I needed.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I understand exactly what you are talking about. I feel bad that I can’t stay up “late” and spend time with my dh (although he has never once expressed remorse for not getting up to do stuff with me at 5 a.m.) I resent that my body NEEDS 7 or 8 hours of sleep a night. And in spite of years of evidence to the contrary, I feel like I should be able to will it to get by on 6 or less and treat my inability to do so as a moral failing.

even though intellectually I know that I need a perfectly reasonable amount of sleep and the healthy, responsible thing to do is make sure I get it.

I chose to work off-shift for most of my career because I had memories of my poor father occasionally waking me up at some ungodly hour while getting ready for work, and I think I made a decision that was never happening to me. Now I generally wake up at "some ungodly hour" myself. But it's my choice to do so--I can sleep whenever I want, including naps, and 5-6 AM works for me. I can't imagine conflating sleep with morality.

Thread Information