Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: do you ever feel bad for sleeping

The good Scottish Presbyterians clearly never tried to save you from sloth.

Absolutely not!

Tea
    That's certainly nothing to feel bad about. Different people require different amounts of sleep, and it also changes over time depending on age, current health, how physical your job is, mental/emotional state, and even the season of the year and your level of exposure to sunlight. If I briefly require more sleep, I figure it probably means I am very successfully fighting off a cold or something, and my body needs to save energy for that endeavor.

I personally don't like to miss the early morning hours - it does not feel good to me to get a late start on the day - so if I find myself sleeping too late I go to bed earlier for a few nights. For example if your usual seven hours is between 11 and 6 but you suddenly slept in until 9 and that bothered you, I would go to bed at 8pm, making time for the full ten hours before getting up at the usual time. I usually find that doing that for a couple of nights gives me the extra rest I need and resets my internal clock, without falling in to the annoying habit of sleeping late in the mornings. Oh, and I don't stress it if I can't fall asleep right away at the earlier bedtime, it is hours of optional sleep that count here, which your body will use if they are really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    that's it! Although I was raised liberal Lutheran,

I just slept 11 hours last night. 8:30 til 7:30. Once in a while that happens and I feel very happy about it! Not an ounce of guilt. That’s what weekends are for.

Do I feel bad? Sometimes, but that is because life goes on and I feel I was getting further behind (last year when I was working 80 hours a week to keep the place open, due to an owners surgery and being off months).

Doesn't mean my body didn't need the sleep.

Yppej
    No. I would hibernate all winter if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    For which I am eternally grateful!

For about a week after I broke my wrist I was taking a nap every day which is something I never do but I was exhausted.

I feel bad for NOT sleeping. I have a sleep disorder and use a cpap......but I still often can only sleep for 5-6 hours and no naps. (even though I would be able to sleep as long as I wanted).
    Everyone else in my family could sleep for 10 hours easily and even take naps! . I'm envious!

Thread Information