Thread: A Silly Solution Saved Me a Lot

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA

A Silly Solution Saved Me a Lot

This is a silly post -- but wanted to share something I'm proud of -- so bear with me...

I have an office chair that suits me to a T. Comfortable, well-padded, easy on my back. Five years of happiness we've shared. Quite fond of this chair...until...the black imitation leather fabric started peeling, leaving little ebony flakes all over the carpet. Padded armrests are now denuded down to the under fabric which is gray. Cute, comfy chair now looks like it has mange.

Bummer. Not pretty. Looked up chairs online where purchased. Chair had been $69 when bought some 5 years ago. Price is now $99.

Gulp.

Was going to bite the bullet and go get a new chair tomorrow.

But last night, as I lay awake battling insomnia, a little creative imp whispered in my ear "go buy some little sock footlets".

And so I did, today. Got a 6-pack of black footlets at the local discount store. They stretch just enough to slip over the armrests and the elastic keeps them in place. Cost was one dollar. $1.00!!

Magic. Chair no longer shedding; armrests are once again black, and chair is healed.

As is my purse.

$1.00 saved me $99.

Happy am I!
    peaceful, easy feeling

I LOVE when a solution is cheap, easy and works!!! Thanks for sharing.

Great solution, HappyHiker!

Wow! Great solution. You should be proud of yourself!

And you get to keep a chair you love...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Wow! So resourceful! I love it!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

this is cool...……...I am very happy with the leather living room furniture we bought 15 years ago...…….no splits, no peeling.

Had to add some batting to the most used middle seat and it turned out great. Total cost less than $20...……..

After reading this I was going to do it to our chair in our computer room.....then I realized there was no opening for the arms. It's all one piece and goes in a big circle. I suppose I could make something with velcro though. The arms to this chair are disgusting....but the rest of it is still great.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    After reading this I was going to do it to our chair in our computer room.....then I realized there was no opening for the arms. It's all one piece and goes in a big circle. I suppose I could make something with velcro though. The arms to this chair are disgusting....but the rest of it is still great.
    Sure--or maybe you could wrap the arms in yarn or some scarves or neckties and make it a work of art! Let your creative spirit shine!
    peaceful, easy feeling

Thanks HappyHiker!

Thread Information