Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
This is true for me as well. DH and I had discussed years ago our wish for our remains. Cremation and scattering of ashes wherever it seems appropriate.
One of the reasons I'm opting for cremation is that I've seen traditional burials incur guilt in family members who don't visit graves. Namely, DH is an example. MIL used to go to the family plot every holiday and bring flowers of the season. She's been dead almost 10 years now (hardly seems possible) and given that we live an hour and half away, and we have no need to go to Westchester County anymore, he has only been once to "visit" his mother's grave--and oddly, the one time we went, he refused to park the car and walk to the gravesite. We simply drove past.

I don't want my kids to wrestle with those kinds of emotions. I think of my body as merely a "mortal coil" that means nothing when my spirit has departed. And I'll leave it up to them as to how they want to proceed with memorials/funerals, etc. (Although I'm happy to make suggestions