Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick thoughts needed

Quick thoughts needed

I have been MIA for quite awhile since my last post … Its has been a HUGE SH!T SHOW . we are cleaning out my MIL place in order to sell in since FIL death ( posted in Family section at the end of Dec)
    Tons of canned and package food with " Best Used By XYZ" most of it is dated at 2011 to 2016 I get anxiety about throwing out unused food …. but those dates are a little on the iffy side for me …. Thoughts?

Pitch. Be done with it. Why do you want to hold onto it? Sounds like you’re going to need a dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Pitch. Be done with it. Why do you want to hold onto it? Sounds like you’re going to need a dumpster.
    Sigh.So much I could add to this because I am talking to my friend who moved about all the shit left in her house including a refrigerator full of stuff. She is a food hoarder, she cannot “throw away food. “

she is Generous with what is in her refrigerator, except that it is all long expired. I haul it home and find it is not useable.

I was so happy to see a frozen container of potstickers because I don’t buy that kind of stuff. But you know what? When I took it out of the sack it was all kind of gray. The expiration date was year 2012.

Agree with Tradd. There is no place for thisfood to go other than dumpster.

Thank You for your replies Tradd and IL That is my feeling too too. However, I live in a county that has a very high unemployment / poverty rate and am wondering if I should call the local food bank and see if they do take the canned stuff

Quote Originally Posted by boss mare View Post
    Thank You for your replies Tradd and IL That is my feeling too too. However, I live in a county that has a very high unemployment / poverty rate and am wondering if I should call the local food bank and see if they do take the canned stuff
    My local food pantry will take NOTHING expired. NOTHING. You’re wanting to give people up to 8 year old canned goods?

Let it go! (cue Elsa from Frozen) Let it go!

There are liability issues for the food pantry with giving away good that old.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    My local food pantry will take NOTHING expired. NOTHING. You’re wanting to give people up to 8 year old canned goods?

Let it go! (cue Elsa from Frozen) Let it go!

There are liability issues for the food pantry with giving away good that old.
    This. Just pitch it. Really.

I think it might be worth a phone call. I did a visit to our local food bank with my former employer, and we did a shift of sorting donations. We were told to dispose of only a very limited number of expired items, I want to say salad dressing and baby formula. You will probably feel better if you call.

Husband delivers food for a food pantry. Pitch it. Please.

Our local food bank won't take expired food. Dump it. Or if feeling especially motivated, there *may* be the right sort of animal shelter that will take some of it - we have a wild animal rehab center here that will take "old" meat from freezers and they grind it up into animal chow.

I spent days taking my parents stuff out into the woods for whatever animals might like it... Much was in glass jars which I had to recycle instead of put in the trash. Although expired food sometimes gets in the mix at food banks they generally don't take it. It is a huge waste but I can understand why.

Thread Information