Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quick thoughts needed

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We regularly eat down the pantry and freezer. Sometimes when people didn’t have enough to eat as kids they react this way. Purely emotional.
    My friend who cant stand to “ waste food” was never hungry as a child. Yet, she wastes lots of food by failing to use it up. This is all stuff she has purchased, it is all processed food for the most part although there are always vegetables and fruits that go bad.

You environmentalists would hate all of the packaging she uses to save the leftover fodd she wont likely eat. She goes through rolls of foil and plastic wrap, tons of it, and baggies. She never reuses any of it.

I don’t have a problem “wasting food” because our waste goes to the compost bin for the most part. I have written here many times about the tens ( hundred?) of pounds of produce that come from DH’s garden that we don’t use. I can’t control that, that is not my problem.

Let me also add that I have been on the receiving end of all this food stuff 4 times in the past 12 months. We have had friends move and off load foodstuffs, my father-in-law died and we cleaned out his freezer and refrigerator. We are at capacity there ain’t nothing left that we need or want and I’m done with taking canned goods, sauces, spices, Frozen foods,liquor.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

I don’t have a problem “wasting food” because our waste goes to the compost bin for the most part. I have written here many times about the tens ( hundred?) of pounds of produce that come from DH’s garden that we don’t use. I can’t control that, that is not my problem.
    Composting food is definitely not wasting it. It's a food pantry for the microbes!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

If I have food that won’t be eaten I take it to the soup kitchen before it spoils. When we have too much fruit from the trees I do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    If I have food that won’t be eaten I take it to the soup kitchen before it spoils. When we have too much fruit from the trees I do the same.
    When it comes to disposing of garden produce, there is no “we” in the chain of responsibility. I refuse to make this my problem.

Our friend who recently moved out to the country harvested 600 lbs of pears her first year there. . 600 lbs. 600.

She brought tons of them to friends, canned tons, made pear butters and juices. Still had hundreds.

For this next year she wants to explore selling to local markets. We shall see how that works.

If I ran the culinary horticultural operations here, I would have 2 cherry trees and that is ALL for fruit trees. But
    I dont. So we have an entire refrigerator devoted to storing apples. and etc etc.

We had a few dozen apple trees back in 1988. So probably thousands of apples. I didn’t count. Ha.

So we announced to our church “free apples for all”. People came out to pick apples. All of them were used.

Thread Information