Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple Living Liquor Cabinet!

Simple Living Liquor Cabinet!

What's in your ideal liquor cabinet? My actual cabinet contains way too much stuff. My ideal streamlined cabinet would only contain:
    • Cognac VSOP (Courvoisier or similar)
    • Cachacas (for mojitos)
    • Laphroaig scotch
    • A decent Vodka (just one, unflavored. DH favors Ketel One, and I would never be able to tell the difference, so fine with me)
    • Myers Dark rum (for Dark & Stormys)
    • A decent bourbon (we currently have a local called Nor'easter and another called Berkshire Bourbon)
    • A decent rye
    • Campari

And a couple of different types of bitters. I love bitters!

I think vodka is a good basic liquor to have around. Otherwise, doh, I do not know. I was not until very recently a drinker of hard liqour. I accept vodka because it can be mixed with anything to make it taste like anything!

My crowd, now decimated from moving away, was a wine and beer crowd.

I have 3 friends who drink Scotch and bourbon, but I would never stock my cabinet with liquor just for them.

In my house the bottom line has always been this: you can get a decent glass of red wine. Don’t count on anything else

Bitters! That is so funny you should bring that up because I was just writing to my friend about bitters. I priced them at the liquor store and Whoah they are expensive so I did not buy any. She has some in her refrigerator. I told her I was going to take them. This is my friend who moved away.

now I’m anxious to try Bitters is because it is so very British I love the idea of Bitters.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    New Amsterdam Gin for me for the win.....mixes well with tonic and is often on deep discount all over town. Barring that......a Mexican tequila bought in Algodones for less than 1/2 it would cost in the US and a bottle of Presidente Brandy (from Mexico also).....goes well with 85006 neighbor airport worker gossip. I'm not much of a drinker, neither is anyone else under my roof so that would be a Simple Living Liquor Drawer (don't need a whole cabinet) for me. Rob

PS Came back to add it's interesting that I sold wine all those years waiting tables and I don't list any wine in my liquor drawer......add a bottle of something white and Portuguese. Whatever TAP Portugal served in economy on my flight from Vienna to Lisbon in 2015.
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 2-21-19 at 7:47pm.

We started delving into bitters because we were trying to make good Old Fashioneds at home. We got a bottle of grapefruit bitters from Fee Brothers that is so good!

I need:

Rum - for rum balls, and putting in tea when I'm getting a cold
    Brandy - for making brandied cherries and some dessert items
    Absinthe - for drinking, carefully
    Sherry, decent but not too good - for cooking, sauces
    Local-made Genever-style gin - for drinking and to support my neighbor who makes it
    Grappas - a selection - for drinking

Now, I also keep a good supply of Port wine on hand, for drinking and sauces, but that's in the wine cellar, not the liquor cabinet. Ditto the sake.

We are mostly a beer/wine/cider household. That said, I do also have vodka, but that's mostly used for herbal tinctures. I have rum for rum balls and mojitos. I have a greek moonshine, some aperol for spritzes, and some Maple Rye and Maple Liquor from a recent trip to Vermont. There's a bottle of elderflower liqueur that a friend raved about, but I haven't really found a use for it.

Vodka-prefer 44North Huckleberry or Grey Goose-plain

Devils Cut Whiskey-Jim Beam hubby's favorite sipper

Irish Cream for weekend coffee

Our household is strictly beer/wine. So for us our liquor cabinet is a room with lots of wine racks and a kegerator. While there's nothing simple about being a couple who drink alcohol, at least there's no plastic involved. (hopefully society never gets to the point where decent wine is sold in plastic bottles!)

My husband keeps a variety of high end whiskeys on hand. From all over the world. I would have zero alcohol if I lived alone. Not really into it.

Thread Information