Thread: Methadone clinic challenges

Methadone clinic challenges

In our neck of the woods, a number of methadone clinics have spring up all within the old downtown area which was already suffering. More people requiring methadone services are moving into the area and the demand generates more clinics. The poor remaining downtown merchants have no recourse or protection as the public interest in shopping the downtown area is declining as more transients move in. Those coming in share accommodation and the local clinics are walkable accessibility.

Any other communities dealing with this issue? How is it being managed? There was discussion about setting up zones where these methadone clinics could be situated but there is no walkable accommodation near those zones. Just bewildered on how it can be resolved.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We have a similar problem in my area with housing registered sex offenders. The less affluent and desirable areas have the most affordable housing, so they get most of the problem, which in turn...

I checked my city and most of the methadone clinics are away from the downtown area. Nevertheless, almost every other service offered to the indigent (for whatever reason) is located downtown. That is where the churches and shelters are that hand out food. And the bus station. The nearby parks, library and trails have turned into hangouts for such folk. I don't know what the answer is; drug addiction, mental illness, homelessness etc seem to be a systemic issue that is increasing in all locations.

Thread Information