Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Have Enough Snow... It has buried an Adirondack Chair on Our Deck.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Steve: there is a "too much" point and it sounds like you reached it. We had a winter like that a few years ago; I think it was 2014/2015 although I'm not positive. I used to work with a woman from MN. She said that at least in MN the streets were designed so that there is somewhere to put the snow.
    Indeed. The three-feet-in-three-weeks bit has been the worst of it. In one stretch I was out for well more than two hours each day for six days out of seven, either clearing that day's snow or busting through the leavings from our city's hapless plow drivers (whose accuracy lends fresh meaning to the phrase "close enough for government service" ). And while I have to think it's not so, it feels like the air temp hasn't been above freezing in weeks. At least I have a decent snowblower (bless DW for giving me the green light to not buy the cheapest one when our old one started getting troublesome) though shovel work still is necessary.

The big issue with clearing the streets in an urban setting is that many residents here don't have off-street parking of any kind. So the city has to structure parking so half of the streets can be cleared at one time or another. In St. Paul, some roads are plowed at night (don't park on them overnight) and the others are plowed the next day (move your car!). Cars in the wrong place get ticketed and, sometimes, towed. We're lucky enough to have a driveway and a garage -- but that means we have to clear a 60' strip of asphalt bordered hard by two houses. Unless some of this melts, I'll soon run out of places to put more snow.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    AZ isn't having that warm of a winter. There are other places that are warmer and nicer IMO.
    You are right about that. I am heading out southwest US in later March to tour the area and as I have been watching the temperature out that way, it is often warmer in the north shore of Lake Erie. The next week looks a little better though.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We've had 16 inches of fresh snow in 24 hours. So far this season we're at 127 inches of snowfall. Because of all the plowing and piling, I couldn't say how much accumulation is sitting on the ground. Our cabin is surrounded by piles well over 12 feet both from our driveway and the road plowing. The great thing is...we hear no traffic whatsoever

Tea
    Where I live the snow plows will "hit it... bend it over... crush it... knock it off its post …" even if you do shovel out your mailbox. It's very frustrating! It is a long stretch of rural road with few houses, so they plow the shoulder at high speed, and I think it's whenever there is a new driver on the route that mailboxes get hit directly and the posts broken off at ground level. The boxes themselves also sometimes get crushed or knocked off their posts just by chunks of snow and ice hitting them, which I guess is not the plow drivers' fault. I and most of my neighbors on this stretch of road have given up on screwing the boxes to the posts, and instead wrap bungee cords over them. This allows them to be knocked loose instead of crushed when an ice chunk hits them, so at least we can put the same box right back on.

When it comes to shoveling, I actually kind of enjoy it, which is good because I am usually the one to shovel our 700' long driveway. My arms sure get in their winter exercise doing that! When it is really deep though, like the few times that we've had over three feet of snow in a single storm, I have a neighbor plow it with a tractor even though that means they have to run my garden over to turn the tractor around. I figure most things can take an occasional running over when they are dormant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I have a neighbor plow it with a tractor even though that means they have to run my garden over to turn the tractor around. I figure most things can take an occasional running over when they are dormant.
    Around here -- and likely where you live -- the frost line runs about three feet deep. So that tractor is running over deeply-frozen ground. It's not causing any harm at all.

And ... 700 feet -- with a shovel?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Here in the Chicago area, we’ve gone a bit with more than a dusting. Very cold last night and today, which doesn’t bother me. At least we didn’t lose power with the high winds yesterday.

I am on a Caribbean cruise right now. 3 weeks ago I fell on the ice and broke my right wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I am on a Caribbean cruise right now. 3 weeks ago I fell on the ice and broke my right wrist.
    Good spot to be with a compromised wrist. Enjoy being spoiled and relaxed!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Tea
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    . . .that tractor is running over deeply-frozen ground. It's not causing any harm at all.
    You're right that it shouldn't effect roots or compact the soil or anything, but I'm more concerned about the plants that stick above ground. Things like yucca, the crowns of ferns, and some low crampbark bushes can take a bit of a beating from it, even though the snow offers them some protection. That's not the only reason I usually shovel by hand though - I really do enjoy the challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Snow?
    We have bright sunshine and clear geound today. You didnt have to leave the Lou for that!

Thread Information